I have quite a mysterious issue that troubles all our staff and customers as one.
We have a server cabinet with the following equipments:
2 x Dell r710, each with 286GB RAM and connect via HBA to Brocade switch.
Cisco Catalyst Network switch 2960G
Fortinet Forgtigate 310B
2 x BROCADE DS-6505R-B
In the beginning we have installed Win2008R2Sp1 with Hyper-V role on both hosts.
Shortly after we started hosting customers on both servers we started getting complaints about freezing and disconnection of remote sessions on the Win2008R2 guests.
We tried almost anything:
1. Firmware was upgraded on the hosts for everything.
2. Drivers were updated for everything.
3. Load-balancing was set to try and reduce the load on the NICs.
4. The NICs are Broadcom so we have changed all off-loading settings that we saw.
5. We installed new NICs from Intel and moved the customers traffic to the new NICs.
6. Last step was to remove one host and install ESXi 4.1 on it and move few VMs to it.
Even on ESXi, the customers suffered from freezes during working time.
To eliminate the possibility that there is something on the guests, we moved few customers to another hosting company and see if the same problems will be there as well, surprisingly, everything worked like a charm there.
So the main question is does anyone here ever faced such issue and can shed some light?
We are practically clueless and our customers already started leaving us.