One of our clients is having issue sending mass mailing through Outlook.
They retrieve all the contacts from a database and export the contact list to Outlook.
When hitting Send, only a subset of the mails are sent and the message stay in the outbox. The sent operation stay in progress for a long time and then the server times out.
The problem occurs for 2 different users associated with 3 different mailboxes. It was working properly before and the problem appeared without any settings change on our side.
To solve the issue we have already conducted the following troubleshooting:
- We have tried sending just one mail through each of these email adresses and they were successfully sent, which indicates that it is not a server connection problem.
- When the mass mail is being sent, we send another mail to one person and this mail is successfully sent. So the problem does not come from the mail quota.
- We have changed the outgoing SMTP server for those accounts to be one of our antispam platform GFI MaxMail and sent just one mail from each account that we were able to see in the logs. However when we sent the mass mail, nothing appeared in the logs. Therefore it is not an ISP or antispam issue.
- We have tried to delete and retrieve again the account on their Outlook clients, without any success.
- Moreover as the problem happens for 2 different users and 3 different accounts, it does not seem to come from Outlook.
It seems like the problem happens somewhere between Outlook and the antispam platform, which could come from the Exchange Server 2007.
Hence my question:
- Is there a setting in Exchange that could limit the number of email one user can send at a time ?
- Do you see any other reason why these mass mails stay in the outbox ?
Thanks a lot for your help !