Powerpoint feature Name Help - When you connect objects and the dot turns red.

Posted on 2013-06-05
Last Modified: 2013-06-14
What is the name of the feature that turns connection dots red when you join objects.
Example:  I have a line and I drag the handle of the line to the corner of a box.  Suddenly the handle on the box turns red.  What is the name of that feature?
Question by:brothertruffle880
  • 2
  • 2
  • 2
LVL 23

Expert Comment

ID: 39221795
The dots are called Connection Points. They turn red when you place something connectable on the shape. I don't think there's a specific name for the red point.
LVL 24

Expert Comment

ID: 39222354
What JSRWilson said. Maybe you could call it an attached connection point?

Author Comment

ID: 39222838
Yes, I can call it anything I want.  And I can be an extremely creative writer.  But I have to write a "how to" sheet to be distributed to many people and need to use the standard nomenclature that Microsoft created.  This way, in the future, when a user decides to seek out more information about that item, they'll more easily and quickly find usable results.  I'm trying to find a standard definition that Microsoft has used for this element.
What Is Threat Intelligence?

Threat intelligence is often discussed, but rarely understood. Starting with a precise definition, along with clear business goals, is essential.

LVL 23

Accepted Solution

JSRWilson earned 250 total points
ID: 39223031
Microsoft use "Connection Point" in their help files. I guess you could say the connection point will turn red when .... and be a larger red when connected.
LVL 24

Assisted Solution

Echo_S earned 250 total points
ID: 39223928
It was just a suggestion. Connection point is the name of those points, but MSFT doesn't actually *have* terminology for when the connection point is attached and when it isn't. JSRWilson's suggestion and examples for how to "write around it," is what most of us have to do. (Even the folks who write for have to "write around" this kind of thing.)

Author Closing Comment

ID: 39247975
Thank you Echo and Wilson.  I WISH WISH WISH Microsoft would pay attention to proper nomenclature!!!!

Featured Post

How to run any project with ease

Manage projects of all sizes how you want. Great for personal to-do lists, project milestones, team priorities and launch plans.
- Combine task lists, docs, spreadsheets, and chat in one
- View and edit from mobile/offline
- Cut down on emails

Join & Write a Comment

Outline From PowerPoint 2010 it is possible to have shapes appear in front of video, in earlier versions video always played in front of other shapes. This means it is possible to have captions animated to appear in front of video. Users who h…
 Regular Expressions Microsoft Word has sophisticated search tools that can search for patterns. For example if you wanted to search for all UK phone numbers that followed a pattern of five digits, a space and then six digits you can easily do th…
This video teaches viewers how to add transitions to their Slideshows and how to set up timing for the transitions.
The viewer will learn how to edit text. This includes Font, Spacing, Resizing, Color, and other special text options.

707 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question

Need Help in Real-Time?

Connect with top rated Experts

15 Experts available now in Live!

Get 1:1 Help Now