The description of this problem is a little long, but it's really just one problem.
I have a dedicated server running Apache 2.2.3 on Red Hat. I noticed that on the main site that the server runs, FacialSurgery.com, some images are very late to load on many pages -- sometimes taking up to ten seconds to load, sometimes not loading at all.
For example, if you go to a before-and-after page, such as this:
there are a bunch of little thumbnails toward the bottom of the page. Usually, some of those thumbnails might take up to 10 seconds to load, or they don't load at all. You can browse to other patients to see the same thing happen.
Then, on most of the intra-op pages, such as:
(caution: there may be a tiny bit of blood pictured on some of the intra-op pages)
...usually a couple of the pictures just won't load, or they take *many seconds to load.
I never remember that being a problem from when I designed the site. I called some friends in other cities to see if they were seeing the same thing, and they were.
The httpd.conf that is *currently running the site is now stripped-down. I took out the other VirtualHost's, made FacialSurgery.com NOT a virtual host, cut down the log levels, etc. Here is a link to the current httpd.conf:
I know I must be loading a bunch of modules that I don't need, but as I mentioned, I haven't had this problem forever. Modules that I don't need are being loaded probably because I was too lazy to find out just what they do and remove them if I didn't need them. I'm no expert in Apache -- I just read a lot.
The site needs to be updated, of course -- the html is ponderous and doesn't completely validate, though it's not bad. Although the pages look like static .html files, the URLs get rewritten and call perl programs with parameters taken from the static-appearing URLs, and the html is then generated on the fly. But that should still all happen very quickly. I don't know why it should take forever to get some .jpgs to the user's browser.
Here's a test page I made:
In most browsers, some of the little pics on the test page don't load, or they take forever. When I load this page and run "tail -f" on rewrite.log, nothing bad happens. Just: not all of the .jpgs are rewritten at first, and then, ten seconds after trying to load the page I see the last three images appear in the browser window, and there they are in rewrite.log, too. No indication of why they were so late to load.
Okay, so things are clunky. Still, there's a Red Hat physical (non-virtual) server doing nothing at all but serving this one site, and seems to me it should be waaaaaay faster.
I've browsed around to all the "10 ways to speed up your site" pages. I haven't yet contacted tech support at my server farm to see if there might be a problem with the server's connection to the Internet pipes.
Running "free -m" shows that I've got 4 gig, and almost all of it is free.
When I run "top", my load average is 0.15, 0.23, 0.25, and cpu is 99.1%id.
If I try to download a large file to my server, it runs at about 11M/s.
I'm dying to get some suggestions of how to make all the images on these pages blit immediately into place. Seems like it should be possible!
Thanks for any assistance.