Trouble access file share through Alias with new DC
Posted on 2013-06-07
I've deployed a new Windows 2008R2 server in an existing domain with 2 other non-R2 2008 DCs, but my users are having trouble accessing a fileshare when they are connected to this new server.
Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?
Here are some details:
1. New server has roles of DNS, DHCP and AD and looks successful from DNS test and from replication of DHCP and AD from other servers.
2. Our File share is named "fileserv" and when users tried to access it through existing drive mapping, they get prompted for Windows Credentials and says "Access is Denied".
3. If I try to access by running \\fileserv, they get the same error.
4. "fileserv" name in DNS actually points to another alias which is called "emc-san1"
5. If I try to access files by using \\emc-san1 , shares are accessible and normal.
6. If I try the "net use" cmd, I see that the existing drive mappings to "fileserv" say they are disconnected.
7. We have load balancing dhcp servers and only users connected to this dhcp server (the new server) are getting this error. Users still connected to the older non-r2 servers are connecting just fine.
For the current workaround, I'm remapping to the "emc-san1" for my users to access files.
Note: I still want my users to ultimately connect to fileserv instead of emc-san1 because we might be removing the emc san soon and I can point "fileserv" to the new storage device.
Let me know if you need more detail, but I hope I've giving enough info about this!