Solved

Error Exporting From Access Application VBE6EXT.OLB

Posted on 2013-06-11
1
830 Views
Last Modified: 2013-06-12
In an Access 2003 app I have developed, I created a right click (shortcut menu) that I include on all reports.  The options on this menu are all pulled from MS menu's, there is no special coding.  The options are Print',  'Export' and 'Mail Recipient as an attachment'.

This app is used at over 20 installations and these functions have always worked as they should.

I got a call today from a user running Windows XP, that is getting an error when he tries to export.  The entire message is in the attached file but it generally is about a broken reference to 'VBE6EXT.OLB'.  I aksed what changes he made to his computer recently.  Turns out someone tried installing some other kind of software on his computer last week, the problem has since come up.

It seems very clear that the other software caused this issue but he is a long time, very good customer so I am trying to help him out.

Our software is installed using Sagekey and I completely uninstalled it and re-installed it.  Same error.

I did some reading which said that maybe VBE6EXT.OLB had gotten corrupted.  I copied the good file from my machine to his machine and got a new message when I tried to export a report.  Something about the proper components were not available to export Excel, RTF, etc...

When I removed my copy of VBE6EXT.OLB and re-used his, the same old message in the attachment came up.

Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this for him?  I am not a registry editing type of guy but something tells me that might be necessary in this case.

Thanks in advance for any help.VBE6EXT.OLB-Issue.docIn an Access 2003 app I have developed, I created a right click (shortcut menu) that I include on all reports.  The options on this menu are all pulled from MS menu's, there is no special coding.  The options are Print',  'Export' and 'Mail Recipient as an attachment'.

This app is used at over 20 installations and these functions have always worked as they should.

I got a call today from a user running Windows XP, that is getting an error when he tries to export.  The entire message is in the attached file but it generally is about a broken reference to 'VBE6EXT.OLB'.  I aksed what changes he made to his computer recently.  Turns out someone tried installing some other kind of software on his computer last week, the problem has since come up.

It seems very clear that the other software caused this issue but he is a long time, very good customer so I am trying to help him out.

Our software is installed using Sagekey and I completely uninstalled it and re-installed it.  Same error.

I did some reading which said that maybe VBE6EXT.OLB had gotten corrupted.  I copied the good file from my machine to his machine and got a new message when I tried to export a report.  Something about the proper components were not available to export Excel, RTF, etc...

When I removed my copy of VBE6EXT.OLB and re-used his, the same old message in the attachment came up.

Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this for him?  I am not a registry editing type of guy but something tells me that might be necessary in this case.

Thanks in advance for any help.
0
Comment
Question by:mlcktmguy
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
1 Comment
 
LVL 84

Accepted Solution

by:
Scott McDaniel (Microsoft Access MVP - EE MVE ) earned 250 total points
ID: 39239511
You might try a repair install of Office/Access. That may fix your references (and the dependency chains for all the references).

However ...

VB6EXT.OLB deals with Visual Basic Extensibility. It's not common to have this reference checked, so are you sure that you need it?

You can check it like this:

1) From the VBA Editor click Debug - Compile. Fix any errors, and continue doing this until the menuitem is disabled.
2) Compact the database
3) From the VBA Editor click Tools - References. Uncheck the reference for the VBA Extensibility library.
4) Now compile again.

If the Compile in Step #4 works, then you don't need the reference. If it does NOT work, then please post back here with the code the compiler finds - I'd be interested in what  production app needs from that library (and there may be other ways to fix this).
0

Featured Post

Announcing the Most Valuable Experts of 2016

MVEs are more concerned with the satisfaction of those they help than with the considerable points they can earn. They are the types of people you feel privileged to call colleagues. Join us in honoring this amazing group of Experts.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

As tax season makes its return, so does the increase in cyber crime and tax refund phishing that comes with it
Preparing an email is something we should all take special care with – especially when the email is for somebody you may not know very well. The pressures of everyday working life stacked with a hectic office environment can make this a real challen…
Get people started with the utilization of class modules. Class modules can be a powerful tool in Microsoft Access. They allow you to create self-contained objects that encapsulate functionality. They can easily hide the complexity of a process from…
Show developers how to use a criteria form to limit the data that appears on an Access report. It is a common requirement that users can specify the criteria for a report at runtime. The easiest way to accomplish this is using a criteria form that a…

752 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question