Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people, just like you, are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
Solved

Outlook Anywhere prompting for password and cant authenticate without adding domain to username field

Posted on 2013-06-11
4
503 Views
Last Modified: 2013-06-11
Hey guys,

We have our Outlook clients all configured to use Outlook Anywhere and if there is a network drop-out for any reason (which seems to happen a lot but that's a question for another time) they get prompted with a Microsoft Outlook authentication window with the username already filled in.

E.g.  
username
[emptypassword]

If all they do is enter their password they cannot authenticate.

e.g.
username
password

Only if they add the company domain name to the front of their username can they successfully authenticate.

E.g.
domain\username
password

Now I know that this could be solved with training but I don't believe that is our only option. That and the FC at work didn't like that answer.

I would like to know if there is a way to configure something on our Exchange 2010 server or Outlook so either the domain is already entered, negating the need for the user to add it manually, or if there is a fix to this issue.

This issue seems to effect all Outlook clients, 2003, 2007 and 2010 on both Windows XP, Win 7 32 bit and 64 bit. All of these machines are on the company domain. It happens when on the company LAN as well as when off-site.

Forgive me if I don't have all the details for the configuration handy, I didn't configure this service so I don't know it intimately. But I do know that we are using basic authentication for Outlook Anywhere.

I really appreciate any assistance I can get on this.

Thanks in advance.
AC.
0
Comment
Question by:defecta
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 18

Accepted Solution

by:
Andrej Pirman earned 500 total points
ID: 39239723
Weird. Must have been some authentication issue.

Test the connectivity: https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Try this (last post): http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrgeneral/thread/12602ae2-8f09-4b03-8343-b334bc37dddf



Also, it might be Autodiscover issue (if TEST from above fails on autodiscover).

Outlook uses Autodiscover constantly. It isn't just the configuration of Outlook, it is also the availability service (Out of Office and Free/Busy information).

A single name certificate can only be used if your external DNS provider supports SRV records - otherwise you need to use a UCC certificate.

With regards to Outlook Anywhere, it should be simply a matter of enabling the feature. Nothing else.

Therefore I would suggest you reinstall the feature.
- Disable Outlook Anywhere in Exchange. Wait for the event log entry that reports it is disabled.
- Then remove the RPC Proxy through Windows.
- Run IIS RESET.
- Reinstall the RPC Proxy component.
- Then re-enable the Outlook Anywhere in Exchange. Wait for the event log entry to appear in the event viewer and test again.

Ideally you should get autodiscover to work correctly.
0
 

Author Comment

by:defecta
ID: 39239811
Thanks for that tip Lasby.

I think you hit the nail on the head with Outlook Autodiscover.

In the last year we have had a complete infrastructure overhaul which has seen our email server merge with our parent company and there seems to be quite a few little details like this that don't work still.

If I use my email address with the parent company domain rather than my email with my companies domain, the autodiscover succeeds.

Otherwise with all other credentials the same, the only change is my email address, the auto discover fails.

Maybe this is topic for another question but how do I go about configuring an autodiscover for our email domain without interfering or breaking the current one? We have our own mail server here if that helps things.
0
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:Mohammed Rahman
ID: 39240157
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:defecta
ID: 39240176
Thanks Labsy. You reply has given me the information I need to resolve this.

Its the autodiscover process that is the cause of our issues. I have just discovered that the other businesses within the group that are not using the parent companies email domain are all having the same issue.
0

Featured Post

Is Your AD Toolbox Looking More Like a Toybox?

Managing Active Directory can get complicated.  Often, the native tools for managing AD are just not up to the task.  The largest Active Directory installations in the world have relied on one tool to manage their day-to-day administration tasks: Hyena. Start your trial today.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Finding original email is quite difficult due to their duplicates. From this article, you will come to know why multiple duplicates of same emails appear and how to delete duplicate emails from Outlook securely and instantly while vital emails remai…
How to resolve IMCEAEX NDRs in Exchange or Exchange Online related to invalid X500 addresses.
This tutorial will walk an individual through the steps necessary to join and promote the first Windows Server 2012 domain controller into an Active Directory environment running on Windows Server 2008. Determine the location of the FSMO roles by lo…
This tutorial will show how to configure a single USB drive with a separate folder for each day of the week. This will allow each of the backups to be kept separate preventing the previous day’s backup from being overwritten. The USB drive must be s…

840 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question