Ok, here's the scenario. I built a new server with SBS 2011. I uninstalled SharePoint, disabled all Exchange services, but left SQL and all other apps/services intact. I built a second server also with SBS 2011; however, that server really only needed to be a file server, so I uninstalled SharePoint and SQL, and disabled all of the Exchange services. I know I probably should've just used 2008 R2, but this is what I had for licenses so I'm making the best of it.
After uninstalling the unneeded stuff from the second server, and applying all applicable Windows patches, I removed the domain and set to a workgroup server. My intent was then to join the domain on the first server. That's when I discovered a problem. Svr2 is unable to do DNS lookups against Svr1, so joining the domain fails because it can't resolve.
- I've added the domain of Svr1 to the domain suffix list on Svr2
- Svr2 can ping Svr1 by name; however, nslookup of Svr1 on Svr2 fails. Weird.
- I tried adding a local host file entry on Svr2, but that didn't work. That's probably
why I can ping Svr1 by name, but nslookup fails.
- I've verified that "Everyone" has access to DNS on Svr1.
- I've run simply and recursive tests via DNS Admin on Svr1 and both are successful.
- Svr1's DNS is configured with external IP's as Forwarders for internet browsing.
- Svr2 has Svr1 defined as its primary DNS. Svr2 is able to resolve public domains. In
other words, Svr2 is unable to resolve svr1.domain; however, Svr2 is able to use
Svr1 as DNS with Forwarder to resolve www.google.com
I'm really baffled by this and not quite sure what else to try. I've read horror stories about trying to deviate at all from SBS 2011's canned script, so I'm wondering if that's what's going on here. My #1 issue is that I'm unable to join Svr2 to Svr1's domain and that seems to be rooted in the fact that Svr2 can't resolve to Svr1.