Solved

runtime error 3709 search key not found when I add a field to a table

Posted on 2013-06-12
4
549 Views
Last Modified: 2013-06-13
I have a database split into backend and front end.  When I add an attachment field to one of the tables in the back end I get an error in some of the front end forms.  So, to my table tblSubmission I add field SubAttachments, attachment type.  Works fine in datasheet view in the back end.  

When I close it and open the front end, open the submissions form (based on tblSubmission) and then a command button that opens another form or a report I get the runtime error.  I haven't added the new attachment field into any form or query, haven't referenced it anywhere.  If I go back into the backend and delete the new field, then back to frontend, everything works fine.
Does anyone have an idea why this would happen?
Thanks!
0
Comment
Question by:esbyrt
  • 2
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 12

Accepted Solution

by:
pdebaets earned 500 total points
ID: 39243718
From my notes on corruption:
---------------
"Search Key was not found in any record"

Probably there are some bad records corrupting the table. Look for "chinese" characters in text fields. You can't delete these records unless you temporarily remove the table indexes, delete the records, then replace the indexes afterwards.
----------------

You may want to make sure you have the latest service pack release for your version of Access. Also decompile: see: http://peterssoftware.com/t_fixerr.htm, item "f". Also compact and repair your database back-end regularly.
0
 

Author Comment

by:esbyrt
ID: 39245715
I have been through all the data in the back end tables and found nothing corrupted (luckily this is a new database and doesn't have many records yet).  I tested by adding a text field to the tblSubmission and then testing the front end function.  All ok.  But when I go back into the back end table and add an attachment field I get the same error.  I have compacted and repaired several times, front end and back end, no change.  I also tried the decompile / recompile thing.
If there is corruption I can't find it and it seems only the attachment type field is a problem.  Any other ideas?
0
 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:pdebaets
ID: 39245748
I just found this: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/a2007-attachment-field-type-problem-t3595201.html

Try re-linking your table after adding the Attachment field.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:esbyrt
ID: 39245838
Aha!  I imported my back end tables into a new database and it works now.  So, definitely corruption somewhere.  Thanks for sending me in the right direction.
0

Featured Post

Complete VMware vSphere® ESX(i) & Hyper-V Backup

Capture your entire system, including the host, with patented disk imaging integrated with VMware VADP / Microsoft VSS and RCT. RTOs is as low as 15 seconds with Acronis Active Restore™. You can enjoy unlimited P2V/V2V migrations from any source (even from a different hypervisor)

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

In a multiple monitor setup, if you don't want to use AutoCenter to position your popup forms, you have a problem: where will they appear?  Sometimes you may have an additional problem: where the devil did they go?  If you last had a popup form open…
As tax season makes its return, so does the increase in cyber crime and tax refund phishing that comes with it
What’s inside an Access Desktop Database. Will look at the basic interface, Navigation Pane (Database Container), Tables, Queries, Forms, Report, Macro’s, and VBA code.
Polish reports in Access so they look terrific. Take yourself to another level. Equations, Back Color, Alternate Back Color. Write easy VBA Code. Tighten space to use less pages. Launch report from a menu, considering criteria only when it is filled…

777 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question