Hello, Basically i want to know how to correctly set up my wireless router...
One important thing is that this is for my home/office... so i need kind of basic things, but i want to do them well.. I need internet for web surfing and email and wahtching videos and movies, etc...I dont Game, nor i want parental control stuff.. etc...But one thing for example i would like to be able to access the router remotely just in case...(i am trying out a new free service MYDLINK.com ). And also i will like to confiure all the important settings that you consider necessary.... Also in the near future i will like to have REMOTE access to my desktop computer, (in case the router settings have something to do with that...) but i think that it can be achieved with specific applications like LogMein, GotomyPc, or someothers (have not tried them out yet)...
This is my Scenario and Devices:
My Home / Office
- 1 ADSL Modem (it has 4 lan ports, so i guess is a modem/router, and it has DHCP enabled by my ISP company) Model: Pirelli DRG A115. Its default IP is 192.168.1.1
- 1 wireless router: Dlink 905 L (it has 4 Lan ports) Its default IP is 192.168.0.1
- This Router is Registered to use the MYDLINK.com web service (sort of remote access and control of basic configurations)
- One 8 port Switch (very basic, and old one: Encore ENH908-NWY+ )
- 3 computers (WINDOWS XP PRO) connected by ethernet to the switch, which is itself connected by a ethernet cable to one of the Modem's lan ports (or sometimes i connect it to the router's lan port)
- 2 laptops (1 XP PRO , 1 MAcbook Pro Mac OS X) and a tablet (Playbook) that connect to the router via wireless
You dont need to read all the things below from here, but i wrote them just in case they are important for your consideration...
I have been having some issues with the way i have my router and network, and i tought i new a little bit about routers, and because of that i have configured my last 3 or 4 routers myself in the last few years... Now i realized that i know nothing about router configuration...!... i mean, what i new was how to enter the config interface via web browser, set an SSID and password, as well router password... Thats it..
Now i have been told about DHCP , and how it should be only 1 device with that enabled, and some other things, like that i should use the router as a AP, or connect it to the LAN not the WAN, or changing the defaults ip...
Regarding changing the IP, a friend told me that if my modem IP is 192.168.1.1, my router should be 192.168.1.2 (But i have it on default Ip : 192.168.0.1 )....I tried doing this on the Routers Configuration Interface, but it didnt let me do that, the warning said: WAN SUBNET CONFLICTS WITH LAN SUBNET . He told me this was important because if i have it like i have it (with 192.168.0.1 and DHCP turned on in both) i might have conflicts and something about "loosing packets"...
So can someone help me in describing the correct method or configuration for my router and network.?
In case you wonder, this are my other related questions that i opened in the last few days:
2 Wireless routers for one big house
Configure a Wifi Router in a House, and take it to another house?
Not Able to access Routers Config Interface
Problem with MYDLINK.com and viewing registered Routers Info and Config
Thanks in advance.