I am planning an upgrade from VMware 4.1 to 5.1. and have 3 esxi host with a windows Vcenter Server.
I want to do a fresh install in order to get past the 2 TB disk read limit. Also I don't want any down time.
Here is my plan...
1. Vmotion everything off ESXi host # 1 and leave ESXi host 2 & 3 in production.
2. Remove ESXi Host # 1 from the cluster
3. Erase ESXi Host # 1 with a fresh install of VMware 5.1.
4. Setup a new windows Vcenter 5.1 Server on ESXi Host # 1
5. Attach to one of the remaining 4.1 host and migrate VMs over to the new 5.1.
Is step 5 possible?
6. Erase 1 of the remaining ESXi 4.1 host with a fresh install of VMware 5.1 and start building a new cluster.
Does anyone see any flaws in this plan, or have any suggestions?