Solved

SQL Error Message:  'Procedure or function spTestUpdate has too many arguments specified.'

Posted on 2013-06-19
4
525 Views
Last Modified: 2013-06-20
Any assistance with this would be really appreciated. I've Googled for an answer and can't find anything which specifically deals with the UPDATE command of a gridview, which is  bound  to a SQLDataSource.  I'm using a stored procedure because information has to be added to other tables and their identity values updated in the original table.

I've attempted to isolate the error by creating  a test sproc which is passed 2 parameters, a LocationID from the gridview control and a session variable which is used in the UPDATE's WHERE clause.

The SQL procedure executes as expected, I've added the 2 parameter to the SQLDataSource's UPDATE command and set their values to the applicable values and then in debug mode in the ASP.NET page I've checked to make sure that the SQLDataSource has a parameter count of 2 and that they are the same parameters that the SQL sproc is expecting yet I'm still getting this error message.

This is the message:
Procedure or function spTestUpdate has too many arguments specified.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Procedure or function spTestUpdate has too many arguments specified.
0
Comment
Question by:FoxProMari
  • 2
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 41

Expert Comment

by:guru_sami
ID: 39260476
Can you share the GridView and SqlDataSource code.
0
 

Author Comment

by:FoxProMari
ID: 39260699
I noticed that in the html the  'SafetyIncidentID' doesn't include a datatype.  I added a type of Int32 and it didn't affect anything.

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" DataSourceID="SQLDSNonEmployeeForm"
                        AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataKeyNames="SafetyIncidentID">
            <Columns>
                <asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="SafetyIncidentID" HeaderText="SafetyIncidentID"
                    ReadOnly="True" SortExpression="SafetyIncidentID" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="IncidentDate" HeaderText="IncidentDate"
                    SortExpression="IncidentDate" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="IncidentTime" HeaderText="IncidentTime"
                    SortExpression="IncidentTime" />
           <asp:BoundField DataField="IncidentLocationID" HeaderText="IncidentLocationID"
                    SortExpression="IncidentLocationID" />
            </Columns>
</asp:GridView>

 <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SQLDSNonEmployeeForm" runat="server"
            ConnectionString="<%...%>"
            SelectCommand="spTest" SelectCommandType="StoredProcedure"
            UpdateCommand="spTestUpdate" UpdateCommandType="StoredProcedure">
            <UpdateParameters>
                <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="GridView1" Name="SafetyIncidentID"
                    PropertyName="SelectedValue" />
                <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="GridView1" Name="IncidentLocationID"
                    PropertyName="SelectedValue" Type="Int32" />
            </UpdateParameters>
</asp:SqlDataSource>
0
 
LVL 41

Accepted Solution

by:
guru_sami earned 275 total points
ID: 39260742
Check this: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Languages/.NET/ASP.NET/Q_23829093.html
So I think SafetyIncidentID might be added twice. Try removing it and see if that works for you.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:FoxProMari
ID: 39263792
I wrote a 4 paragraph response and then hit the wrong button.

In a nutshell, I deleted all of the parameters from the SQLDataSource, then set a watch on the e.Command.Parameters.Count in the SQLDataSource_Updating event which showed 4 parameters defined even though I had deleted all of them.  

After interrogating the names and values of each of the e.Command.Parameters.Item(s) I discovered that ASP.Net was creating a parameter value for each field in the gridview and prefacing each of the gridview names with  the SQL variable/parameter designation of '@'.

I solved the issue by added the additional parameter values to my SQL sproc and setting their default value to null.

Everything appears to be working fine now, thank you so very much.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

It was really hard time for me to get the understanding of Delegates in C#. I went through many websites and articles but I found them very clumsy. After going through those sites, I noted down the points in a easy way so here I am sharing that unde…
Ever wondered why sometimes your SQL Server is slow or unresponsive with connections spiking up but by the time you go in, all is well? The following article will show you how to install and configure a SQL job that will send you email alerts includ…
Using examples as well as descriptions, and references to Books Online, show the documentation available for date manipulation functions and by using a select few of these functions, show how date based data can be manipulated with these functions.
Using examples as well as descriptions, and references to Books Online, show the documentation available for datatypes, explain the available data types and show how data can be passed into and out of variables.

808 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question