SBS2008 Hardware is dead. AD, DCHP, DNS, AD Certificates do not exist. Restore of Backup is not an option.
Installed SBS2011 on new server hardware. Installed and configured AD and DCHP. Changed the name of the server but keep the domain name (sort of) the original SBS2008 domain name was CompanyABC.local on the new SBS2011 server it is named companyabc.local.
No worries about Microsoft Exchange at this time. We have moved all of the mailboxes to Microsoft Hosted Exchange when the SBS2008 hardware failure happened.
1. Will there be an issue with the domain name because the new SBS2011 is all in lower case?
2. Do I need drop computers from the SBS2008 domain and bring them back into the sbs2011? Or will the computers figure this change from DHCP?
3. I am not sure what AD Certificates were in place - Is there a way to figure this out - without the SBS2008 server?
4. I have not configured group policies as of yet.
What I know:
1. I had a 2008 Server running SQL2012, it has static IP address. I changed the DNS to that of the new server and I can still access the internet and other internal servers.
2. Do to the hardware failure I could not/did not DCPROMO SBS2008 or seize the FSMO roles.
3. I know that SBS2008 and SBS2011 are completely different. So I am not sure where to start.
3a. Should I start with the rest of the servers, changing their DNS to match the new SBS2011 server IP Address?
3b. Should I start with the computer clients?
3c. Do I need to drop them out of the SBS2008 domain and bring them into the SBS2011 domain or is going to happen because of DHCP
4. Does it matter that on SBS2008 the domain name was called CompanyABC.local on the new SBS2011 server it is named companyabc.local.