Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 435
  • Last Modified:

SharePoint 2010 not showing User Properties from AD in My Settings

Hi.

The First Name and Last Names of SharePoint Users are not appearing in My Settings from AD. When I look at the User in the User Profile Service > Manage User Profiles, I can see the First & Last Name properties contain the correct data though.

I understand that the UserInfo Table is where the Users Details are stored and it will use those. So I need to remove the user from the Site Collection, then re-add them.

I discovered this from here...
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/1a2404c8-9fb6-47f8-8021-1149fc2b09e3/user-profile-attributes-not-updated-after-syncshows-in-central-admin-but-not-my-settings

This works when I remove a user from the site collection and re-add them. However, there are only a few users that are named with access where I can remove. Because everyone else enters the site as  <domain>\domain users

So,
Do I remove   <domain>\domain users  from the site collection then re-add it (I can't see how that would remove the users in the InfoTable)
Or... would I delete the Users directly in SQL from the UserInfo Table (doubt it as I understand it's dangerous to edit directly)
Or... detach the database, then re-attach (was hoping not to do this as it's going to affect the users)

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.
Lee
0
PolymorphLtd
Asked:
PolymorphLtd
  • 5
  • 4
1 Solution
 
PolymorphLtdAuthor Commented:
Update: I have removed the <domain>\domain users from the Visitors Group. Carried out a full sync of the User Profile Synchronization Service, then re-added <domain>\domain users, but this has not made any difference.

I deleted one user. This user was in a Contributors Group and I could see that there first/last name was not listed there - Although it was in the UPS. I removed the user from the Contributors Group, deleted them from SharePoint by going into the UPS > Manage User Profiles. Carried out a full sync, added the user back to a Contributor Group and it has fixed the problem for that person as they now have their first/last name appearing in the two properties First Name and Last Name.

Does anyone know how to get these properties showing correctly.?

Many thanks
0
 
Justin SmithSr. System EngineerCommented:
What version of SharePoint?  Do you have multiple AD forests/domains in your environment?
0
 
PolymorphLtdAuthor Commented:
The version is SharePoint Server 2010 Enterprise. And yes there are multiple domains.

Domain1 is where the users are authenticated against, and the Farm is in Domain2.

The User Profile Service Synchronization Connection is pulling the user profile data from Domain1.

Originally there was another Synchronization Connection to Domain2, as the customer has their Exchange server in Domain2, and that is where the email addresses where obtained from (the users were set up in both Domain1 and Domain2). This has since been changed so that the email address is sync'd across from Domain2 to Domain1, so that only one Synchronization Connection is needed.
0
Concerto's Cloud Advisory Services

Want to avoid the missteps to gaining all the benefits of the cloud? Learn more about the different assessment options from our Cloud Advisory team.

 
Justin SmithSr. System EngineerCommented:
Is there a one-way, or two-way trust between the domains?
0
 
PolymorphLtdAuthor Commented:
It's a two way trust
0
 
Justin SmithSr. System EngineerCommented:
Ok.  As a test, have one of the affected users edit or add something to the site.  After, manually kick off the User Profile to SharePoint jobs from Central Admin - Monitoring - Job Definitions.

Report back.
0
 
PolymorphLtdAuthor Commented:
Thanks for the reply Achilles. That would work for "Active" users, but these are Read Only Users. These users obtain access through the AD Group <domain>\domain users as Read Only, and do not have their names explicitly stated in the Site Permissions.

For the users that are "Active", they are stated explicitly, and I had removed them from the site and as you said - ran the UPS Sync and they worked fine from then onwards. But I cannot see how to do this for the Read Only Users, as they are not classed as "Active" (Active being Microsofts view that they edit, upload etc, and not just view only).

Thanks
0
 
Justin SmithSr. System EngineerCommented:
Run this command, which isn't documented very well, then run the timer jobs again.

stsadm -o sync -ignoreisactive 1
0
 
PolymorphLtdAuthor Commented:
Hi.

Sorry for the delay - I could not get this to work, I tried your stsadm and that did sound as though that was the right thing to do but unfortunately it didn't make a change. I have just completed rebuilding the Farm as the customer was moving to new servers, and I ended up creating the UPS from scratch... So far this seems to be working ok, so I'll close this and mark your stsadm comment as the answer.

Thanks for your help.
0

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

  • 5
  • 4
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now