Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 2558
  • Last Modified:

Crystal Reports 8.5 - Verify Database always says Database file XXX has changed

Hi,
I am using CR 8.5 and I have a load of .rpt files.

When I open certain .rpts in CR and do a Verify Database, it always says that "The database file XXX has changed. Proceeding to fix up the report", but only for some of the tables in the report, e.g. one report does this for 3 out of 5 tables used, another for 2 out of 4.  The database is Access 2000 and the structure has not been changed.

This happens every time that I open the report, even if I don't refresh the data.

But some of the .rpts, mainly those created recently, are ok, and Verify Database = "The database is up to date".

Any ideas, please?

Thanks,
Geoff
0
lybreeze
Asked:
lybreeze
  • 5
  • 3
  • 2
  • +1
2 Solutions
 
peter57rCommented:
Are you saving the report once you have verified the database?
0
 
lybreezeAuthor Commented:
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I always save the report, but next time I open it and do a Verify Database it says that some of the database tables have changed !
0
 
peter57rCommented:
I don't know what the problem is then.
Is the Access application changing its own table structure as part of its processing?

Why are you running Verify Database anyway?  Are you getting errors in your report?
0
Free Tool: Port Scanner

Check which ports are open to the outside world. Helps make sure that your firewall rules are working as intended.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

 
lybreezeAuthor Commented:
I wondered if Access is creating a temporary index to make some of the links between tables, but the Visual Linking Expert doesn't show any reason why this should be so.

I started checking Verify Database because certain reports (when run from a VB6 program) are taking up to 1 minute to print, whereas other reports are instant.  This delay is not caused by volume of data. The content of the reports is ok.

It is the reports that are taking a long time to print that have this Verify Database problem, and they do seem to be the older reports, which were possibly originally created using CR version 4.  Maybe there is some incompatibility here?
0
 
peter57rCommented:
Maybe the origin of the reports is causing problems. I can't say.

Perhaps it might be worth staring a new blank report and using copy and paste to get the essential parts of one of the 'problem' reports into it and seeing what happens.
0
 
mlmccCommented:
Do you see this when you run the reports?

Have you saved them after seeing the VERIFY?

mlmcc
0
 
lybreezeAuthor Commented:
mlmcc - no, I only see it when I select it while in design mode in CR8.5
Yes, I always save after each verify.

If I run any of these problem reports either from VB6 or from the compiled .exe when the report has been integrated into the .exe via the RDC then they display/print ok but only after a delay of 30 seconds.

If I externalise them as .rpt files and execute them via the old Crystal Report .ocx control then they display and print immediately.

Following peter57r's suggestion, I knocked up a simple report in CR8.5 using the same 3 tables that cause problems in one of the older reports, and hey presto - everything is ok - Verify Database doesn't keep flagging up that any of the tables have changed..

I guess that indicates that both CR and the database are ok, and that the fault lies in some incompatibility between CR 8.5 and a .rpt built in an earlier version?

Would you agree?

Thanks for your help
0
 
mlmccCommented:
OPening the report and saving it should convert it to a CR8.5 report and resolve the database issues.

mlmcc
0
 
lybreezeAuthor Commented:
I'm afraid that it doesn't !

I'll close this one now, just assuming that there is a legacy incompatibility in .rpts created in a previous version, and I'll have to rebuild the affected reports in 8.5 !

Thank you both for your help.

Geoff
0
 
James0628Commented:
This is a longshot, but have you tried using "save as" to save the report under a new name (_after_ you do a "verify database")?  If there is something in the RPT file (an "incompatibility") that's causing a problem, maybe having CR create a new file (using "save as") will leave out that part.

 Just a shot in the dark really, but easy enough to try.

 James
0
 
lybreezeAuthor Commented:
Thank you for your suggestion James, especially after I had closed off the question  :-)

However, I tried doing a Save As but unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

Regards,
Geoff
0
 
James0628Commented:
Oh well. It was worth a shot.  :-)

 James
0

Featured Post

Get your problem seen by more experts

Be seen. Boost your question’s priority for more expert views and faster solutions

  • 5
  • 3
  • 2
  • +1
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now