Solved

Easy Question - Setting the RPCClientAccessServer to the CAS Array

Posted on 2013-06-26
13
867 Views
Last Modified: 2013-07-02
I run Exchange 2010 in my domain. I need to figure out a way to set the RPCClientAccessServer to CasArray.domain.com

I've run this command:

Set-MailboxDatabase <mailbox db> -RpcClientAccessServer CasArray.domain.com

But client devices cannot connect when using Outlook (both internally and externally). My temporary solution has been to manually set the RPC a specific CAS server in the array.

Thank you!
J
0
Comment
Question by:jmichaelpalermo4
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 8
  • 3
  • 2
13 Comments
 
LVL 43

Expert Comment

by:Amit
ID: 39279189
Any HLB or NLB you are using?
0
 
LVL 3

Author Comment

by:jmichaelpalermo4
ID: 39279380
HLB
0
 
LVL 3

Author Comment

by:jmichaelpalermo4
ID: 39279403
I've created a split DNS entry pointing to the CAS Array, which is forwarded using Zen Load Balancer to forward the traffic.
0
U.S. Department of Agriculture and Acronis Access

With the new era of mobile computing, smartphones and tablets, wireless communications and cloud services, the USDA sought to take advantage of a mobilized workforce and the blurring lines between personal and corporate computing resources.

 
LVL 43

Expert Comment

by:Amit
ID: 39279415
You need to point this to your HLB not to you CAS Array name. So first you run

Run the command nltest /dsgetsite on server and get the site name

then create cas array
New-ClientAccessArray -Name anyname.yourdomain.com -Site "sitename" -Fqdn  hlbname.yourdomain.com

Then set the mailbox database
Get-MailboxDatabase -Server MailboxDBServername | Set-MailboxDatabase
-RpcClientAccessServer hlbname.yourdomain.com

Make sure you have configured CAS server in your HLB too.

Hope this helps.
0
 
LVL 3

Author Comment

by:jmichaelpalermo4
ID: 39279792
Ah yes, I've done that originally and it didn't work.

I set my DNS records to use mail.domain.com and pointed it to the IP of the load balancer, which points to the servers in the CAS Array.

Or, maybe I'm missing something?
0
 
LVL 63

Expert Comment

by:Simon Butler (Sembee)
ID: 39279815
The CAS array name should be something that is UNIQUE to the CAS array and resolves internally only. It should not be in the external DNS and should not be in the SSL certificate or used for anything else.
After making the change to the databases etc, I would start by having the CAS Array address point directly the CAS role holder, to verify it works correctly.

Simon.
0
 
LVL 3

Author Comment

by:jmichaelpalermo4
ID: 39279835
Right - I'll get that fixed asap. Will changing the name of the existing CAS array cause any issues?

Thank you!
J
0
 
LVL 3

Author Comment

by:jmichaelpalermo4
ID: 39280038
Still no go. I've changed the CAS Array Name and FQDN to something internal and updated the DNS records accordingly.
0
 
LVL 63

Expert Comment

by:Simon Butler (Sembee)
ID: 39280548
Did you repair the Outlook profile after making the change? The CAS array name change is NOT picked up by the clients automatically.

Simon.
0
 
LVL 3

Author Comment

by:jmichaelpalermo4
ID: 39280561
Yes, I tried to configure the client on a completely new PC, still no go
0
 
LVL 63

Assisted Solution

by:Simon Butler (Sembee)
Simon Butler (Sembee) earned 500 total points
ID: 39280646
I am not really sure what you are doing wrong here, as CAS Array is very easy:

Create DNS entry for the CAS Array host name.
Configure the CAS Array in Exchange using new-clientaccessarray.
Change the RPC Server setting on the database.

The only time I have seen problems is when AD Sites and Services isn't configured correctly and the server doesn't recognise which site it is in.

Simon.
0
 
LVL 3

Accepted Solution

by:
jmichaelpalermo4 earned 0 total points
ID: 39281728
Found the issue, it was an autodiscover issue. There were multiple parts to this... My URLs (EWS, AVD, etc) for the CAS were set to the individual servers. Ran commands to set them to the correct URL.

But you led me to the right path, I had things not correctly configured.
0
 
LVL 3

Author Closing Comment

by:jmichaelpalermo4
ID: 39292547
Figured out the issue myself, with direction from Sembee2
0

Featured Post

Salesforce Has Never Been Easier

Improve and reinforce salesforce training & adoption using WalkMe's digital adoption platform. Start saving on costly employee training by creating fast intuitive Walk-Thrus for Salesforce. Claim your Free Account Now

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

For anyone that has accidentally used newSID with Server 2008 R2 (like I did) and hasn't been able to get the server running again because you were unlucky (as I was) and had no backups - I was able to get things working by doing a Registry Hive rec…
This article will help to fix the below errors for MS Exchange Server 2013 I. Certificate error "name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site" II. Out of Office not working III. Make Internal URLs and Externa…
This tutorial will walk an individual through the steps necessary to install and configure the Windows Server Backup Utility. Directly connect an external storage device such as a USB drive, or CD\DVD burner: If the device is a USB drive, ensure i…
There are cases when e.g. an IT administrator wants to have full access and view into selected mailboxes on Exchange server, directly from his own email account in Outlook or Outlook Web Access. This proves useful when for example administrator want…
Suggested Courses

622 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question