I have an old 2003 dc that is being replaced with a new 2008 server. I need to migrate over about 80 user accounts and group policy (no Exchange).
I have googled how to do it and come up with a check list as follows:
1. Install new server
2. Install the DNS role and AD roles on the new server
3. Run the domain and forestprep commands (adprep /domainprep ; adprep /forestprep ; adprep /gpprep) from the 2008 server cd
4. Run DCPromo and join your new server to the existing domain
5. Transfer the FSMO roles
6. Make sure that the DNS information is replicating.
7. Make sure DHCP server is moved to the new 2008 server
Does the above list look OK, is it in the right order?
When first starting up the new server I will be prompted to give a domain name - should this be the existing servers domain name or a different one?
many thanks in advance.