troubleshooting Question

IE issue in XenApp. Most users are unable to download and write to the temporary internet files folder. Only Some.

Avatar of DVoCWBK
DVoCWBK asked on
CitrixWindows Server 2008Web Browsers
6 Comments1 Solution3611 ViewsLast Modified:
We are currently running XenApp 6.5 on Windows 2008 R2 Standard x64.

So here's a little back story. We had a XenApp 6 environment that did not suffer these issues. Then, our SAN decided to crash and we lose most of our storage repositories that have our old environment in them. We decided to rebuild our entire XenApp environment on a new hypervisor, VMware vSphere 5.1 (ESXi).

At the same time, we had an exisiting XenDesktop environment that was still up and running during the crash. about 80% of our Citrix users were on XenDesktop while the remaining 20% were on our old XenApp environment.

Upon making the decision to rebuild XenApp, we decided to take everyone out of XenDesktop, decommission XenDesktop, and then exclusively run XenApp. We are now running XenApp and we are not running XenDesktop. What this means now is that 80% of our citrix users have never logged into our OLD XenApp environment. Our old XenDesktop and old XenApp environments are now gone.

What we are running into now is that users, including domain admins that log into our NEW XenApp are having issues downloading things in IE. We traced it down to the file simply not writing into the C:\Users\username\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5\xxxxxxxxxx\ folder. This could allude to a bigger problem, not just exclusive to IE.

However, we come to find out that users that have accessed our OLD XenApp environment are not having these issues on our NEW XenApp environment.

Here is the sequence to which I've identified the problem.

I logged in as Jenny. She was on our previous XenApp farm before the rebuild. We search for a basic PDF. I click on the first result in google.

open basic pdf
The PDF opens fine in the web browser.
opens ok
I search on the terminal server which Jenny is logged into, the file is found on the path shown below:
found file in temp internet files
I now log in as a test account that had been created after the new environment was stood up and search for the same manual.pdf in google. I open the first link like the first time. Nothing happens.

 same attempt, different user, does not open
Searched the C: drive for the same file. Cannot find the file.
cannot find file in temp folder.
This all takes place in the same environment. None of these users have special or elevated permissions set in their AD objects. The only difference was Jenny's account was on our old XenApp environment which did not have this problem, and whatever magical power she had has successfully carried over to the new environment. We do not think it's a permissions issue because not even our domain admins can successfully produce the same results as Jenny's account.

Any thoughts?

Our community of experts have been thoroughly vetted for their expertise and industry experience.

Join our community to see this answer!
Unlock 1 Answer and 6 Comments.
Start Free Trial
Learn from the best

Network and collaborate with thousands of CTOs, CISOs, and IT Pros rooting for you and your success.

Andrew Hancock - VMware vExpert
See if this solution works for you by signing up for a 7 day free trial.
Unlock 1 Answer and 6 Comments.
Try for 7 days

”The time we save is the biggest benefit of E-E to our team. What could take multiple guys 2 hours or more each to find is accessed in around 15 minutes on Experts Exchange.

-Mike Kapnisakis, Warner Bros