Hi, for the last weeks i have been following many of the posts on a Hardware Forum for CG Architectural 3D visualization, and i have tried to digest all the info and make my best judgement for the new computer that i want to build. ( I have never Overclocked a CPU and this will be my first built ever, so i had little knowledge in this areas..., but anyways i have also done my research online for many of the components in this post...)
Please correct me if i am wrong, but i consider this configuration a "BASIC Workstation" with Viewport performance emphasis
(not GPU rendering)... I will use it as a solution until i buy a really strong Workstation on the start of 2014... Then this will become a backup Workstation / render node.
Budget is very tricky in this range, so here is the Configuration i want to buy. Please give me your toughts... (If possible i want to spend less, but if otherwise needed, i can increase the budget, but the less possible...:
HASWELL BASIC WORKSTATION with BUDGET VIEWPORT PERFORMANCE GPU:
(Medium Overclockable and air cooling)
CPU: Intel i7-4770K $339.99
I have several options, but i am not sure if they will work with the GPU, Ram and Fan that i want. I am also undecided on wheter mATX or ATX is best for this config...
- Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 mATX $156
- Gigabyte Z87MX (GA-Z87MX-D3H) $125
- Gigabyte Z87X (GA-Z87X-UD3H) $159
- Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 $180
- ASUS Z87-PLUS $165
COOLER:Cooler Master Hyper 212EVO $33.99
RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB $138.99
(Any other Model or brand you recommend? ....I have read that Kingston and Corsair are good, and that it might probably need to be Low Profile Ram...)
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro K600 1GB DDR3 $166.99
Alternative Options: (I have found these 2 other options, but i am not sure if the 3 are the same, or one is better?
- PNY VCQK600-PB Quadro K600 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile $180.64
- ADAPTR Quadro K600 1GB $247.07
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB – WD1002FAEX $ 89.99
CASE: Corsair Obsidian 350D = $89.99
Alternative Options: (What do you think?)
- Corsair Carbide 200R $59.99
- Corsair Carbide 300R $88.77
- Fractal Design Core 1000 $46.97 _ I was recommended this Case for a render node, but i think it might struggle with this Workstation components, specially with the Cooler. (I like very much the smaller size and the "looks" of it the most. _ It is the smaller one of them all)
- Any other better CASE suggestion on this price range?
PSU: Corsair CX500M 500W Modular Bronze $65.99
-Rosewill capstone-550-M Gold = $89.99
(for first options) $ 1081.93
OS: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (OEM) $124
DVD DRIVE: Lite-On DVD+/-RW Dual Layer IHAS124-04 $21.69
SSD: Samsung 840 120 GB $100.96
(The 840 PRO is better because of MLC, so it has a longer lifespan, BUT more expensive)
Any recommendations on the best or good enough?
Any recommendations for a 4 to 8 port switch? I need this for my small office. Right now i only have a NAS with gigabit, and soon this Workstation. But i expect to have 2 to 3 more PCS with gigabit in a year or two....
Please feel free to comment, change or add the components that you think will work better if needed, or in the other hand change or take away the ones you fill are overkill, or that can be replaced by other that can help save some money.
- My main use will be 3DS Max, CAD and Photoshop. I want viewport performance, and not GPU rendering, hence the Quadro K600... ( I don"t do gaming)
- Most of the links to components where kindly provided by an expert on the CG Forum.
- All prices from AMAZON US