We have Exchange 2010. I have a room that has been working fine and all of sudden today when I go to Room Finder or Scheduling assistant the room does not appear. I have run the cmdlet for Room-statistics ID and found that it has hour ours 0800 -1700 and no error. I checked and made sure the my Distribution group named Conf Rooms has this room as a member. I have ensured that the room is still located under the same container in AD as other Rooms. Nothing seems different. I have restarted my Address Book services on Cashub servers and downloaded the OAB to Outlook successfully and still do not see the room in Room Finder.