I do have a single server acting as Hyper-V host and running 3 productions VMs (SBS 2011, TS 2008 R2 and Linux PBX) and several test VMs. The host is currently running Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise and I plan to upgrade it to Windows 2012 R2 that has RTM'd yesterday.
Win2008 R2 Boot partition (C:) is a RAID1 partition. This is the one I want to upgrade.
Productions VM are located on separate RAID volumes. Tests VM are located on a QNAP appliance and are mounted through iSCSI.
My approach would be to:
1. Shut VMs down
2. Export Config using the scripts documented at http://blogs.technet.com/b/virtualization/archive/2009/05/29/hyper-v-r2-import-export-part-6-so-what-happened-to-configuration-only-export.aspx
3. Perform a clean install of Windows 2012 R2 and configure Hyper-V
4. Import the configurations using the VBS scripts mentionned here above
My question is two-fold:
1. Does anyone know if the Import Config script will run with Windows 2012 _R2_ ?
2. Is there a better approach ?