Problem connecting to database Sharepoint 2010 server farm (no active directory)

When configuring Sharepoint 2010 and trying to connect to SQL Server 2008 database ;
executing PowerShell command (New-SPConfigurationDatabase) as admin

I get the following error:
Cannot connect to database master at SQL server at {ServerName}. The database might not exist, or the current user does not have permission to connect to it.

SQL Server 2008 R2  (separate box)
SharePoint 2008        (separate box)

Windows Server 2008 R2
ActiveDirectory: NONE

Confirmed and verified the following;
- Checked roles are set for spfarm (dbcreator, public, securityadmin)
- Enabled SQLBrowser Service
- Verified TCP/IP is enabled
- Verified mapping to Master database
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Justin SmithSr. System EngineerCommented:
I'm assuming spfarm is the account running the SharePoint Timer Service.

Did you verify the account you are logged in as has access in SQL as well?
lorgnettesolutionsAuthor Commented:
ACH1LLES, correct.
Yes we did verify our account has access in SQL.

Part of our problem is that since we can't use active directory, we have to create the same admin user on both servers,

In example:
Server1 has SQL Server and a local user called server1\admin (which also has db access)
Server2 has Sharepoint and a local user called server2\admin
Rainer JeschorCommented:
can you please post the complete command you have used?
Did you create the farm credentials the right way?

10 Tips to Protect Your Business from Ransomware

Did you know that ransomware is the most widespread, destructive malware in the world today? It accounts for 39% of all security breaches, with ransomware gangsters projected to make $11.5B in profits from online extortion by 2019.

lorgnettesolutionsAuthor Commented:
We resolved this issue some time ago.  Even though we did not have Active Directory the following worked:
spfarm account created in windows on both servers (sharepoint server and database server)
spfarm was granted database access (high level permissions)
executed the following line in Powershell: NewSp-ConfigurationDatabase
then entered the name of the new db, the server and the user credentials using the local account and domain (i.e. server1\spfarm)
once the database was created and connected, opened configuration wizard and step through the rest of the sharepoint configuration.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
lorgnettesolutionsAuthor Commented:
resolved issue before getting a comprehensive response
lorgnettesolutionsAuthor Commented:
resolved issue before getting a comprehensive response.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft SharePoint

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.