Avatar of GNOVAK
GNOVAKFlag for United States of America

asked on 

Why Access 2010? - Seems MDB has less crashes with Remote Desktop

I had programed in VBA utilizing Access 97, 2000, etc. We use ODBC connections & linked tables to Oracle. We're using Access on a Remote Desktop.
Occassionally when opening a .accb file, I cant get at the Modules.
In order to get there, I sometimes have to relink tables.  This morning even that didnt work. I copied the .accb to my desktop using VPN, and Voila! it worked.
If I save it as a .MDB and copy it back, it works. If I copy it back as a .accb, no luck.
That would be fine except I made the error of trusting Microsoft and utilized a navigation form. I now can not convert the .accb to an mdb for another app that I developed.

SO it seems like MDB is the right way to go.
What does the .accb buy me except more headaches?
Microsoft Access

Avatar of undefined
Last Comment
Avatar of Jeffrey Coachman
Jeffrey Coachman
Flag of United States of America image

Not sure about your setup there...

Access can run slowly on Remote connections, thus have timing issues with the links...

The format of the db should not matter here.
In addition, some Accdb format db's cannot be formatted back to .mdb files without a lot of work...

Also note that the end users should be accessing mde/accde files and not accessing the mdb/accdb file directly...

Also is this Database split?

Avatar of GNOVAK
Flag of United States of America image


Considering that the tables are linked, I didnt see any advantage. I would have to have a backend database that contained the linked files and then link those to the app.
(I think that's what you mean...)
Again, I am not entirely understanding your setup here, so lets wait for another expert...
Avatar of Boyd (HiTechCoach) Trimmell, Microsoft Access MVP 2010-2015
Boyd (HiTechCoach) Trimmell, Microsoft Access MVP 2010-2015
Flag of United States of America image

Blurred text
View this solution by signing up for a free trial.
Members can start a 7-Day free trial and enjoy unlimited access to the platform.
See Pricing Options
Start Free Trial
Avatar of GNOVAK
Flag of United States of America image


hitechcoach -
In the past, with .MDB, we had access tables on the backend and linked Oracle tables on the front end.  I made an mde for each user on their specific Remote Desktop. We used a utility that updated the front end whenever the code changed or an issue occurred (very infrequently).
For this app, we're placing the work on the Oracle server.  I have functions that link the tables, relink the tables, call oracle procedures and accept return values.  The tables are ALL linked to Oracle which resides on a separate server.  We use TOAD in oracle on our remote server (not users) and after about 30 minutes of inactivity it times out and must be refreshed.  We still havent figured that one out.

Now we started to put our front end together with 2010 and are currently designing, testing, etc.  It consistently (at inconsistent times) crashes when its opened.  In Googling for a solution, someone mentioned making sure it's complied correctly before saving.  Did that. Then I found that many times, when the error occurs (usually trying to get into a mod), relinking the tables works.

This afternoon, about every 10 minutes.  The ultimate solution is to copy it down to the desktop via VPN, then save it with another name, then copy it back, then relink.
Extremely frustrating.

I'm thinking of placing a mdb or accb on the ORacle server, linking there. Then use ODBC to connect to the Access copy on the Remote Desktop.  Just a thought until tomorrow.  '

I'm very open to suggestions as this is extremely frustrating.  I am seriously considering going back to Jet.  

Open to anyone's thoughts and suggestions.
are you compiling into a .accde?
Avatar of GNOVAK
Flag of United States of America image


not at this point (yet). We are developing so we have not compiled.
As I mentioned, we currently link to Oracle tables in the application.
If we were to place the "backend" that has the links to Oracle on the Oracle server and then link to that, I'm thinking that may help as well (?)
If we go that route, my only concern is how to connect to the backend on another server .

Avatar of GNOVAK
Flag of United States of America image


During development I have utilized the following methodology that appears to help before closing the app:
1) in VBA, compile and correct any syntax errors
2) IN VBA, save
3) Return to Access and an open form, right click and save
4) Upon loading the app (in development mode), relink tables.

The above seems a bit paranoid to me but so far has worked.  I agree with TheHiTechCoach that a compiled app would not have this problem and would need to be refreshed periodically.
Avatar of GNOVAK
Flag of United States of America image


Thanks TheHiTechCoach. Would love to compare notes sometime as your environment sounds like where we are heading and you have a lot of experience that could save us a few headaches along the way.
Microsoft Access
Microsoft Access

Microsoft Access is a rapid application development (RAD) relational database tool. Access can be used for both desktop and web-based applications, and uses VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) as its coding language.

Top Experts
Get a personalized solution from industry experts
Ask the experts
Read over 600 more reviews


IBM logoIntel logoMicrosoft logoUbisoft logoSAP logo
Qualcomm logoCitrix Systems logoWorkday logoErnst & Young logo
High performer badgeUsers love us badge
LinkedIn logoFacebook logoX logoInstagram logoTikTok logoYouTube logo