I am currently tranistioning from exchange 2007 to 2013. The install went without any errors and I want to do the following:
1. My exchange 2007 is currently named exch1.domain.com.
2. My exchange 2013 is currently named exchserv.domain.com.
3. I want to change the name of my exchange 2013 (not server name) to mail.domain.com ( I believe i just need to do this on the virtual directories for ehlo and helo as well as dns internal and external)
4. Since I am not keeping the exch1.domain.com on my new ex 2013 I am thinking i do not need to create a legacy.domain.com.
5. what I think i need to do is create the mail.domain.com A records on both internal and external dns's. I am not sure if this will cause any problems or if i need to be aware of anything.
6. I am unsure as to when I should create the mx record for mail.domain.com during this transition and remove the exch1.domain.com mx record.
Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.