upgrading access db
Posted on 2013-08-30
This time I need strategic advise, because the things are coming to the critical point.
Access application designed since 2006 (MS Acc2003) for personal use to make the life easy.
2. Recent events.
Company did like the application a lot and asked to deploy it not for me only. I have split the database to FE and BE+.mdw with passwords and access rights.
Both FE and BE are deployed in the same directory on the server (there are no PCs, there are workstations=monitor+keybord). Means, all users are addressing to the same FE file.
3. After 8 month of multiuser operation ( 4 persons) database was quite reliable. Growing of the BE file about 12Mb per month. Now the complete database is BE=220MB(about 130 tables) + FE= 128Mb(more than hundred forms+ extra reports, qrys,macr etc.)
4. Now some more users want to join (theoretical maximum- 32 users);
5. The amount of changes I'm doing (new tasks/tables forms etc.)is decreasing compared to previous months, but the modification of the forms is constant.
6. Also there is an idea to give an acces to certain parts of the db for some remote sites, which are not always online (means uploading or synchr or I dont know).
Considerations (I simply can not know this):
- Stability of the database in case of bigger number of the users;
- Maximum size of the BE declared as 2 GB , which is not an extraordinary figure; (there is a tendency to ask for big memo fields);
- Speed of the database in case of many users and bigger BE size. (some sql applications here are simply slow).
- From time to time, there are complaints that memo field text formatting options are poor;
- A lot of docs are linked to the db(OLE). Any trouble, will damage the links= tragedy;
- I have a feeling that Access itself will soon become not enough;
- I am investing huge amount of time to this db (I'm not a professional programmer, I am supervising engineer. Thats my job actually).
May be stop spending time with Access and start digging something else? Lifting something new from scratch will need time also.
If the decision will be taken, it will have to last years and years. Limitations with further development can hardly be accepted.
Any ideas which way to turn? Or maybe continue with Access? One time I can afford to loose data but only one time and we must be sure that the platform will not be changed in general in reasonable future.(better not to loose of course).