This is a direct follow on from the problem I described (and thought solved)
only about 72 hours ago.
In short, as I said in my final entry on that piece, I've been reinstalling all my software and devices, checking with tdsskiller after each one, to ensure that I have not re-infected myself.
I finally got around to allowing windows to update itself. It found I needed 54 updates (remember I had rolled back to an installation snapshot made a few months ago at the start of this debacle - in the hope that this would clear the infection. (It didn't - I still had 3 threats) - so all those updates needed reinstalling) Fortunately I ran another tdsskiller test (clean) and made a Rollback snapshot of my system drive immediately prior to permitting the update.
On completion and restart, I immediately ran tdsskiller again and found 63 threats.
For obvious reasons, I immediately rolled back to the pre-update snapshot and all the threats have gone away.
For equally obvious reasons I'm gobsmacked.
I cannot believe that the "infection" is real, or else about 10% the online users of Win 8 would be screaming (the few who have rootkit identifiers installed). Which leads me to conclude that they must be false positives and that in turn takes me right back to the position I was in before I was persuaded to take the initial infection seriously.
The one thing that makes me suspicious (that it might be a real infection) is that, after the reboot, (i.e. before I could run the tdsskiller test) the system insisted on going online and downloading something or other without announcing what it was doing or why and without telling me what it had done when it had finished. And it was in a most peculiar state. I could not interrupt it. I couldn't run the task manager, couldn't get back to the desktop or gain control in any other way. Couldn't even pull the network cable because I had left the update going at home and logged in remotely to finalise it and run the tdsskiller test...
I'm all ears...