Hi - I hope this is a fun question. I have been having a hard time finding answers in white papers and on the web.
OK, Here is my situation and goals -
I want to be able to make sure the network is not the bottleneck in connections between multiple hosts and sans
- I have 3 VM esxi Hosts running a mix of servers and desktops.
- I have 3 datastores, all connected via iscsi They all have 7200 rpm enterprise sas drives with ssd cache. In know not optimal, but we work with what we have available
- I am using 1 gigabit network connections using the software hba included with vmware and intel nics
- I want to connect each host to each datastore.
- It seems like 2 connections from each host to a data store for redundancy and round robin connections is the best answer, but I could be wrong.
- In your experience, what is the best iscsi topology to accomplish this? I want make the hard drives the bottleneck in the connections
I am using two switches
I have enough network ports - 6 in each host, 6 in each datastore
All ideas and insights are appreciated. I look forward to your comments and questions.