troubleshooting Question

MOSS_DELTAIMPORT stage very slow after User Profile Service synchronization reset

Avatar of Josh Price
Josh PriceFlag for United States of America asked on
Microsoft SharePoint
4 Comments1 Solution920 ViewsLast Modified:
I realize it's entirely possible that this kind of behavior is normal, but I'd appreciate confirmation or correction...

We were no longer gathering new AD users in our synchronization and after many hours of tinkering, I followed this article to reset sync. I reconnected AD (left a BDC connection out) and ran a full sync. 36 hours later it had completed with all of the new users we were missing.

However, the next incremental sync is where I saw issues. According to the MIIS client, the process hit the MOSS_DELTAIMPORT step and slowed down incredibly. It was averaging about 6 objects per minute, which is not good with 200,000 objects to process.

I let it run for days and it never sped up. The timer job entered the 'Pausing' state and a few days later, I had enough. I stopped it, restarted services and attempted to start the incremental over. Once again, it hit the MOSS_DELTAIMPORT step and essentially stopped. Days later, a mere 2500 objects were processed and the timer job was in 'Pausing' state again. Rinse and repeat a couple more times.

One constant (aside from speed) was that it appeared that most of the objects/users were both Deletes and Adds in the statistics inside of the MIIS client. I would assume this occurs because the sync service needs to reconcile the users already in the profile store with the AD data in the metaverse. However, I would not assume that this step take about 100x longer than any other step in the sync process.

I've looked through logs and I've been tracking performance data on our SQL server and the application servers. The FIM service and the UPS service rarely exceed 5% CPU and DB IO is in the KB/s range. Aside from the timer job slipping into the 'Pausing' state, there's no evidence to suggest that the process isn't continuing to run.

I don't know what information I need to provide to get some insight here, but I will do what I can to offer what I have. I wanted to provide a little background and touch on the troubleshooting/monitoring I've been doing for over a month now. Is this normal behavior, or do I need to investigate further into logs to find a possible cause for this?

Again, any insight anyone could provide would be wonderful. I have nowhere to go next and this is a growing concern for our organization.
Join the community to see this answer!
Join our exclusive community to see this answer & millions of others.
Unlock 1 Answer and 4 Comments.
Join the Community
Learn from the best

Network and collaborate with thousands of CTOs, CISOs, and IT Pros rooting for you and your success.

Andrew Hancock - VMware vExpert
See if this solution works for you by signing up for a 7 day free trial.
Unlock 1 Answer and 4 Comments.
Try for 7 days

”The time we save is the biggest benefit of E-E to our team. What could take multiple guys 2 hours or more each to find is accessed in around 15 minutes on Experts Exchange.

-Mike Kapnisakis, Warner Bros