problems opening dw files with cs6

Client has an older site that was designed using dwcs2 (i think).  They want me to make a simple update.  I try to open up the html files and dw just spins and spins and cannot open up the file.  I thought maybe the file was corrupt so i went to server and downloaded the file from the live site.  Not luck - Anyone know the solution to this?
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Scott Fell, EE MVEDeveloper & EE ModeratorCommented:
I don't think there was a cs2, I think it went from MX to CS3.  In any case, it could be multiple reasons but more then likely from the way record sets where build then vs now.  

I think even up to cs3, the way DW build recordsets was not very safe and in cs4 they went to command procedures.  It might be a good idea to let your client know updating their site may save them from a future sql injection (assuming they are using a database).

Another possibility may be templates or how the template was set up vs how your set up is.  

Do you want to post the page code for us to look at?
nsitedesignsAuthor Commented:
There was no template.  There was no database.  Simple html site.  I had been able to make updates to it prior to upgrading to cs6.  Here is link.  Bear in mind, the site is very old so please be nice.  : )
Scott Fell, EE MVEDeveloper & EE ModeratorCommented:
I'm on 5.5.  But some things that are possible issues

Do you have  library files set up in this location
 <!-- #BeginLibraryItem "/Library/SRBP_botnav.lbi" -->

It would include the code
     <!--Begin Bot Nav-->
      <p class="botnav"><br/>
        <br />
        <a href="about.html">About</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;|&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="river.html">The River Basin</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;|&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="projects.html">Projects</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;|&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="events.html">Events</a>&nbsp;<br />
        <a href="join.html">Join</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;|&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="links.html">Links</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;|&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="contact.html">Contact</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;|&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="index.html">Home</a></p>
      <!--End Bot Nav -->

Open in new window

Looking at this thread, it appears cs6 may not like libraries.  The library acts similar to a server side include.  It is probably better to use an include anyway so it is not dependent on dreamweaver.

Try editing in notepad and save to a new test.html page and remove the library code and see what happens.
Determine the Perfect Price for Your IT Services

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden with our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Download your free eBook now!

nsitedesignsAuthor Commented:
Oh yeah, I have a library for the bot nav.  I do that with most of my sites.  Have not had ANY problems with ANY other site using library item for footer.  I don't have notepad.  I opened file on internet, saved the source code and dumped it into text wrangler.  I then got a message of document encoding mismatch saying, " this doc contains data which describes its encoding as western iso latin 1 but the encoding has been set to unicode utf8.  Saving doc will cause unexpected display of its contents and may prevent text wrangler from opening it in the future."
Scott Fell, EE MVEDeveloper & EE ModeratorCommented:
I see what you mean with text wrangler.  I wonder if something is just out of wack with the dreamweaver site cache.    

Every once in a while when I have unexplained issues with dreamweaver, rebuilding the cache and/or preferences seems to do the trick.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
nsitedesignsAuthor Commented:
I tried dumping plist but that didn't fix the problem. The only solution I could come up with was to copy code from browser, open new html page and plunk code in and resave it.
Scott Fell, EE MVEDeveloper & EE ModeratorCommented:
Well if it worked...good.   I still use dreamweaver but only the very basics.  I have had mx, cs3 and now cs5.5  Each version I have had to rebuild the cache, reinstall, have perfectly good code not work unless I copy pasted to a new page as you did multiple times.  Make sure to back up your site set up files!!  

In my opinion, it has so much clunk trying to make it easy, it ends up causing other problems. Every once in a while it freezes, it takes up a lot of memory.     I do think you see more people using higher end text editors like submline and text wrangler does ok too.  Being on a Mac, if I were to replace DW with something similar, at this point I would use but there really is not much competition for the same type of development tool.

In the mean time, it seems like you have your fix.
nsitedesignsAuthor Commented:
yup - thanks for the advice anyways.  : )
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Adobe Dreamweaver

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.