Outlook cannot locate Exchange 2013 Server - "......Outlook must be online or connected..."

I have installed Exchange 2013 (MS Server 2008) in an Exchange 2007 (MS Server 2003) environment.  The Exchange 2007 box is decommissioned. However it remains as a file server.  I have both IPV6 and IPV4 running - and have disabled IPV6 in an attempt to fix this and failed.  Approximately 5 out of 50 machines made the switch to the new server.  The remaining boxes, a variety and mixture of Windows XP Pro, Vista Business, Windows 7 Pro, Outlook 2007, Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013 give me the following message when attempting to configure Outlook:

1 - When opening Outlook:  "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"
2 - When trying to resolve the server name:  "The name cannot be resolved.  The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"

I have tried the following fix with no effect:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2264398.  I have deleted/recreated Outlook profiles.  I have created profiles with new users.  I have upgraded from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010 - direct and by first completely uninstalling the old version.  I have uninstalled Outlook 2010 then installed Outlook 2013.  All with no effect.

Mobile devices connect with no issues.  Of the few PC's that do connect, all Outlook functions work fine.  All PC's were connected fine with Exchange 2007 before the upgrade.

I have just the one Exchange 2013 server, with all necessary roles installed.

I can see no pattern as to which machines connect and those that don't.  The Visa box with Outlook 2010 connects.  An XP box with 2007 connects, but others with that same combination don't.  An XP box with 2010 connects, but others with that combination don't.  Two Windows 7 boxes with Outlook 2010 connect, but several others with that same combination, placed in service at the same time, do not.  All relevant machines have all the most recent service packs and updates installed.

I can ping the mail server from all working and non-working PC's - with both IPV4 and IPV6 - by name, IP address, mail.localdomain.local and mail.publicdomain.org.
sksaathoffAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Nick RhodeIT DirectorCommented:
I assume they had been connected to the Exchange 2007 server and there are remaining files left over on the workstation which might not be resolving correctly.  Sounds like DNS is all setup but did you try flushing the profile.  Its kind of like the following article to clear out the contents after you have removed the outlook profile from the workstation.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Office_Productivity/Groupware/Outlook/A_12258-Outlook-Cache-Mode-Cleanup.html

I know its for the GAL & OAB but it does clear up quite a bit of other issues.  Its a matter of navigating to those places and flushing them out.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
sksaathoffAuthor Commented:
Performed the steps in the article, plus a few other things.  No effect.
0
Nick RhodeIT DirectorCommented:
What about autodiscover?  Where is that pointing to?
0
Big Business Goals? Which KPIs Will Help You

The most successful MSPs rely on metrics – known as key performance indicators (KPIs) – for making informed decisions that help their businesses thrive, rather than just survive. This eBook provides an overview of the most important KPIs used by top MSPs.

sksaathoffAuthor Commented:
On my primary dns server, under DNS-Servername-Forward Lookup Zones-localdomain.local-org-publicdomain, the autodiscover properties have the FQDN as autodiscover.publicdomain.org.localdomain.local.
Shouldn't it just be the local domain?
Is there somewhere else better to find this?
0
sksaathoffAuthor Commented:
This was a combination of problems.  First, the security certificate had both local and public alternative names (i.e. mail.localdomain.local and mail.publicdomain.org) which caused problems.  Second, a few of the client PC's were pulling incorrect DNS information for the autodiscover website(s).  I obtained and installed a new certificate that contained only the public domain for mail and autodiscover (which causes problems with localhost on the server, but I can live with that), and flushed the DNS on the offending clients (one of which is STILL pulling incorrect DNS information from somewhere yet to be determined, but works 90% of the time now).
0
sksaathoffAuthor Commented:
Gave myself credit because part of the solution was not addressed in the thread.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Outlook

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.