I'm at the end of my rope. I have a client with TWO PCs, one an HP laptop (620), the other a Gateway desktop. One SP1, the other no SP.
Dealing with the HP 620, it's Windows 7 SP1. There are 72 updates waiting to be installed and every last update fails. It goes through them all, supposedly installing one after the other, but at the end it says they failed to install. All 72 of them.
The two error codes are: 80070308 and 9C57. Have also seen 0643. Have tried all fixes prescribed by Microsoft.
Here's what I have tried:
1. .net repairs of all types and descriptions. Complete remove and reinstall per Microsoft cleanup tools.
2. .net verification. All versions verify properly.
3. Various Microsoft fixit tools.
4. The Windows update troubleshooter in COntrol Panel. Says Update was fixed, but no difference.
5. Numerous restarts.
6. Disable antivirus (eset)
7. Microsoft's online virus scanner.
8. SFC (no problems)
9. Registry permission checker/adding Administrator permissions where missing.
10. Manual updates, pick a single update, download the KB file, run it - it fails.
11. "Repair your computer" on restart.
12. New Windows user account.
13. Disabled all startup programs and unnecessary services.
It's odd that I rarely encounter this error, and yet the client has two computers with the same issue, on 2 different version of the OS (1 Sp1, the other non SP - and can't install it!)
I am absolutely out of ideas. Anyone encountered anything like this before??