Do I need windows server 2012 CALs if it is part of SBS 2011 domain

I have s SBS 2011 as the DC with 50 CALs. I want to add windows 2012 standard server and install SQL 2012 on it. I know that I will need a windows server 2012 license and SQL license (with CALs or core-based) but do I also need separate CALs for windows 2012 or is that covered with the SBS Cals. I believe if I add a windows 2008 server then separate CALs are not needed. Thanks.
Who is Participating?
Cliff GaliherConnect With a Mentor Commented:
Short answer, yes you need to buy CALs. The general rule for windows OS CALs is that the CAL allows access to the version of the OS it was bought for or older, but not any OS that is newer.

So for SBS 2011, which is based on 2008 R2, it covers 2008 R2, 2008, 2003, etc, but *not* 2012 or 2012 R2. The moment you add that newer OS, you need newer CALs for any user accesssing that server.
Tony GiangrecoCommented:
In 2008, Microsoft changed most of their server licensing to the know system meaning you purchased a set of CALS with your server O/S. After that most Microsoft requires you to purchase a paper based license showing you have XX number of licenses per server.

On server 2003, you had to install CALS per server.

Microsoft changes their licensing rules quite often and many times it's confusing.

To get the first hand info from Microsoft, call their licensing desk at 800-426-9400.

Hope this helps!
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.