Forcing IE 10 to IE 9 mode.

Our application runs in IE 10 mode, but a 3rd party server we access to display documents in an Iframe does not. We have found by using the Developer Tools that if we set the Browser Mode to IE 10 compat mode and Document Mode: IE9 that both our app and the 3rd Party is happy.

However, IE 10 seems entirely resistant to metatags in the web page:
  <meta http-equiv="X-US-Compatible" content="IE9" />

or even registry changes:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\mail\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
iexplorer.exe = 9999 (decimal)

Running IE 10 on Win 7 or Win 2008 R2
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

It looks like you misspelled the http-equiv: "X-US-Compatible" instead of "X-UA-Compatible".

Please try the following:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9">

Open in new window

NJThomsonAuthor Commented:
Miss-typed the question (and can't edit).

Actually we've tried the following variations - with no impact.

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE9"/>
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9"/>
NJThomsonAuthor Commented:
We solved this problem and learned a few things:

After reading elsewhere that the <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE9"> statement really has to be early, if not first in the header or it will be ignored.

If the two lines:

<meta http-equiv="Content-type"  content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE9">

are to the front of the header, the Compatible content setting is successfully applied.

In addition, this helps with a related problem of controlling the rendering engine used when in compatibility mode. While it is not possible to change the browser mode (e.g. IE10 or IE10 Compatililty) controlling the document mode will override the rendering selected (e.g. in compatibility mode it otherwise forces the page to IE7Standards or lower), which is effectively controlling the browser mode.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
My guess would be that you use a doctype declaration. According to various sources, IE10 will disregard the "x-ua-compatible" tag if a doctype declaration is found. Removing the doctype declaration should fix this.

For more information:
IE10 and X-UA-Compatible
IE Dev Center: Specifying legacy document modes
NJThomsonAuthor Commented:
We resolved the problem ourselves from other various posts around the web.

We've included solved the problem and other things we learned in the last comment
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Internet Protocols

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.