• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 376
  • Last Modified:

Exchange 2013 licensing question.

Exchange 2013, there will 500 users.  Not all 500 will login at the same time, three shifts here - the largest shift is 300 users.  Can we do "per user" license of 300 since there will never be more than 300 concurrent connections or do we have to do the full 500 since there will be 500 accounts?

There will be some mobile phones, tablets and laptops for each account.
2 Solutions
Pete LongTechnical ConsultantCommented:
No you need 500 standard CALS, AND if you want enterprise features for any of those clients you need an enterprise licence as well (in addition to).

See my comments here

Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
Only Microsoft can answer your questions - everyone else can give opinions but when it comes to being legal or not, any answer from anyone on a forum isn't worth the paper it (isn't) written on.
There are three rules with Microsoft licencing.

1. Ask at least twice, as you will get two different answers.
2. Get it in writing.
3. Whichever is the most expensive option, will be the correct one.

In most cases, number of users = number of CALs that you require and you would ahve a very hard job getting an auditor to agree otherwise.

Red-KingIT ManagerCommented:
I agree with Sembee that you should ask twice and get it in writing but Disagree that the most expensive is the correct one.

As PeteLong said, you will need 500 Client Access Licenses.

A Standard CAL is required for each user or device connecting to Exchange 2013.
An Enterprise CAL is required for the advanced features such as Unified Communications.

Each user who is using an Enterprise CAL must also be using a Standard CAL i.e. you need both CALs for that user.

If you plan to do some advanced features with ActiveSync you may need Enterprise CALs for that.

You may need more CALs for the extra Tablets/mobiles. Ask your vendor to organise a call with a licensing rep from Microsoft to nail down your exact requirement.

Have a look here for more info on Exchange licensing;
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

Join & Write a Comment

Featured Post

Easily manage email signatures in Office 365

Managing email signatures in Office 365 can be a challenging task if you don't have the right tool. CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365 will help you implement a unified email signature look, no matter what email client is used by users. Test it for free!

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now