I setup a Windows XP Pro SP3 machine to test some group policy software deployment. I am having trouble with Microsoft .NET framework. Per the deployment guide
, I have created the appropriate MSI files and added them to the Software Installation folder of Group Policy and published them so they show up as installable in Add/Remove Programs > Add New Programs.
My problem is I cannot install .NET 2.0 as standard user. I get the error shown in the screenshot.
I have tried several solutions to no avail. I have tried:
- deleting the Microsoft.NET folder in C:\Windows
- deleting the v2.0.50727 folder in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\F
- granting standard users modify rights to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET
- renaming the Assembly folder in C:\Windows
- running the .NET cleanup tool, removed all instances of .NET
- recompiled the MSIs.
- there is no antivirus installed on the machine. Previously an old version of Symantec antivirus was installed.
My goal is to successfully install .NET framework 3.5 as a standard user from Add New Programs.