I am no longer able to receive emails in my inbox. My Outlook is configured for POP/SMTP from gmail, and I know my account is fine, because when I use gmail on the web, I can receive emails. My Outlook client will allow me to send an email, but not receive, and it no longer prompts me to enter a password for my POP, like it use to whenever i launch the app. I ran "Test Account Settings..." on my account properties, and all appear fine. I can receive the test email in gmail, but still not to my Outlook client. I've tried re-installing Outlook and reconfiguring my profile, but still to no avail. I clicked the "Send/Receive" tab > Send/Receive All Folders, and viewed the "Show Progress, the green bar is solid like it ran fully across, but no comments under Tasks or Errors. I am using Outlook 2010 standard. Any troubleshooting steps would help. By the way, if you have the POP/SMTP settings for gmail, please provide all configuration info. However, I dont believe anything has changed on that front.