I have been unable to reliably setup a KMS server to use in a Citrix PVS 6.1 streamed environment. The network is completely virtual. I am using windows 7 pro, Windows server 2008 R2, and Office 2010. For the KMS server I am using the VAMT 3.0 tool. After lots of reading about KMS and volume activation, this is what I understand about it.
Any type of Volume License version of Windows 7 and Office 2010 come installed with a default VL key. It is design to do a DNS lookup for a KMS server to activate itself using something called CID's. Then the KMS server communicates that with Microsoft.
This network was not using a VAMT tool before, but was not reliable. Some window 7 clients would not show genuwine, but some would. So in my attempt to fix this issue I am trying a new KMS server with the VAMT 3.0 tool. I have unpublished the old KMS servers to my best understanding. I have installed the VAMT 3.0 tool with KMS keys for Server 2008 R2, windows 7 pro, office 2010. I deleted the old SRV entry in DNS and create a new one for the new server. For my streamed vdisk, I put them in a private image mode and ran the rearm command to put Windows 7 and Office back in a non activated mode. Put the Vdisk back in standard mode and made sure the Vdisk was set for KMS activation. Logged into my virtual machines and office and windows 7 show either not activated or not genuine. I also ran a nslookup -type=srv _vlmcs._tcp.domain on a client and it doesn't show the KMS server. The firewall is turned off on the clients and kms server.