We have what I believe is an old .net application (probably not 4.0), that connects to Oracle, accepts a primary key for input, and creates/produces insert/delete statements. The purpose is to copy data from our QA system to our DEV system.
We recently started using Windows 7 64-bit. We have Oracle WebLogic 11g 64-bit installed; I also have Oracle InstantClient 32-bit installed. Related to the instant client, I also have TNS_ADMIN set to the instant client directory where I have a copy of my tnsnames.ora file.
This .net application works fine for me (actually, works fine for me on two different windows 7 machines). However, for other users with the same* setup, the .net app is throwing an error when we try to log into the db: "Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException. This problem will occur when running in 64-bit mode with the 32-bit Oracle client components installed."
It almost seems like the .net app does not recognize that the instant client exists; the instant client was installed after WebLogic.
I can't figure out what I did differently that makes it work for me and not for others. Everything that I find on google says, "install a 32-bit client" and the asker says, "thanks - that worked."
*Possibly related, I installed everything myself by talking one of the desktop guys into giving me admin rights for a couple of days. Everyone else's machines were installed by someone on the desktop team. The only point of contention seems to be that I installed Java into C:\Java, and the desktop team insists on installing to C:\Program Files\Java or C:\Program Files (x86)\Java. (To install WebLogic, they installed Java to C:\Program Files\Java and then copied to C:\Java, which seemed to work.)
It's very possible that we have different permissions set, but I don't know where to start looking.
As an alternative to solving the problem above, a recommendation of a good beginner's tutorial to .net would be helpful, since I don't have a clue how to tear this application apart.