Server 2008 R2 - Best Practices Analyzer scan has failed

I am getting a "Best Practices Analyzer scan has failed" error message when I try and check the best practices for the Active Directory Domain Services role on any of my 2008 R2 domain controllers. On two DCs I have successfully run this best practices scan in the past. There are no related error messages in the Application or System logs. The error appears to have started after promoting a 3rd 2008 R2 DC, although it may be unrelated.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Failure message
LVL 1
mmmfgAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Mike KlineCommented:
I haven't seen this error on my boxes, saw some KBs that were close to this but not exactly it so I didn't post.  You will find those if you search "best practice analyzer scan has failed"

Have you tried re-installing BPA   http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1460

Thanks


Mike
0
Nick RhodeIT DirectorCommented:
That occurs with an improper installation.  I would recommend reinstalling it as stated above
0
mmmfgAuthor Commented:
Searching online this was the closest thing I could find: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/bb3e8f6e-e61f-480d-905d-9e0af2296bb2/best-practices-analyzer-scan-failed-with-parser-error

Thanks for the recommendation. I downloaded the update. I did already have it installed so I uninstalled it, rebooted, installed the update, rebooted, and got the same error again when running BPA.
0
Making Bulk Changes to Active Directory

Watch this video to see how easy it is to make mass changes to Active Directory from an external text file without using complicated scripts.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
mmmfgAuthor Commented:
Thanks! I hadn't seen that. I found an & and removed it. Now the BPA scan works!

The odd thing is that this OU has been named like that for probably 7 years - since the forest was 2000 level - and I just now started having a problem with it.
0
mmmfgAuthor Commented:
Great find! Thanks!
0
mmmfgAuthor Commented:
A domain controller was moved from the Domain Controllers OU to an OU below the OU with the &. This caused the BPA to look at the OU with the & for the first time, and throw the error.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Windows Server 2008

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.