Hi, i have a very old DELL PRECISION 470 from 2005, with Dual Xeon Nocona 3.0G processors, 4 GB ram, and Nvidia Quadro FX 540, XP Pro x64. It is not my main computer, but i need to use it.
I run 3ds Max 2012 on it, and graphics performance is way to poor...Almost unusable while on 3ds max. Alotugh i use it, it is not like i will work much on it, but at least when i do, for opening and checking ouyt some files, i need it to respond well. I will use it more also as a Rendering NODE, for long rendering tasks.
Then as soon as i buy some new Rendering PCs (Dec 2013), i will use this computer for simple Music production and internet...
I want to upgrade its video Card (GPU), and i want it to be a significant improvement, BUT i dont want it to generate too much heat or too much Energy consumption...This because since it is an old computer and it has Dual XEONS it already consumes lots of energy...
Budget: Less than $80 (or i will go up to $100 if is really worth it.
The Dell Specs Manual says that these Quadro models are compatible:
- Quadro FX 540 = 35 watts _ 128MB _ CoreClock: 300MHz _ $20 used
- Quadro FX 3450 = 83 watts _ 256MB _ CoreClock: 425MHz _ $20!!!new/140new / $37used
- Quadro FX 4500 = 109 watts _ 512MB _ CoreClock: 470MHz _ $145 new / $80used
Note: The used Quadro FX 4500 is very tempting but i think it has too much Power consumption..or am i wrong?
On the other hand, those Dell recommended models are way too old, so i was thinking that perhaps a NEWER Entry/Medium Level Geforce GPU will work ok and outperform those old Quadros, and with less energy consumption... Do you think i am right making this assumption? and also most importantly: will a NEW GPU model be COMPATIBLE with my DELL precision 470?
These are the models i have found on Amazon and Ebay for the budget, BUT i am not sure if they will work, also they mention they are PCIe 2.0, and i know that the Precision 470 is PCI 1.0 ..(does this mind at all or not?) Will the work with Windows XP Pro x64 bit?:
- Geforce 610 = 29 watts _ 1024MB _ CoreClock: 810MHz (PCIe 2.0) _ $50 new
- Geforce 620 = 30/49 w _ 1GB/2GB_ CoreClock: 810MHz (PCIe 2.0) _ $60 new
- Geforce 630 = 50 watts _ 2GB _ CoreClock: 875MHz (PCIe 2.0) _ $65 new
- Geforce 8400GS = 25 watts _ 512/1GB _ CoreClock: 567MHz (PCIe 2.0) _ $30 new
Could you give me your opinion on which Video card will definetely work and be the best upgrade for this computer within the budget?
EDIT: By the way, i only want to use NVIDIA cards, presonal preference and works well with 3ds Max...