Certificate Authority Move

I want to decommission an old 2003 Server that was my networks Enterprise Root CA and move it to a new 2008 Server with a different name.

What do I do? I want everything to move over and work the same on the new one.
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

You can migrate your CA


Or simply just setup a new one and publish via Group Policy

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
chadklineAuthor Commented:
Thank you for the step by step.
chadklineAuthor Commented:
Can you provide directions via group policy you mentioned?
To add a trusted root certification authority to a Group Policy object

    Open the Group Policy object (GPO) that you want to edit.

    In the console tree, click Trusted Root Certification Authorities.


        Policy Object Name/Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Public Key Policies/Trusted Root Certification Authorities

    On the Action menu, point to All Tasks, and then click Import.

    This starts the Certificate Import Wizard, which guides you through the process of importing a root certificate and installing it as a trusted root certification authority (CA) for this GPO.


    To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Domain Admins group or the Enterprise Admins group in Active Directory, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority. As a security best practice, consider using Run as to perform this procedure. For more information, see Default local groups, Default groups, and Using Run as.

    To open a GPO, see Group Policy (pre-GPMC).

    This procedure does not apply to Local Policy objects.

    You can import a trusted root certificate from a PKCS #12 file (.pfx, .p12), a PKCS #7 file (.spc, .p7b), a certificate file (.cer, .crt), or a Microsoft serialized certificate store file (.sst).

Reprinted from:
chadklineAuthor Commented:
Thank you again. I think i am gonna do the GPO method.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Windows Server 2008

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.