What is the best practice to do a SAN to SAN VM data migration using Storage Vmotion ?
- Current setup is (23) ESX 4.1 hosts with FC datastores on 3PAR storage.
- Booting from SAN
- Bought a new Netapp FAS array and need to move all the VMs over to the FAS array, boot from FAS array. Total 23 TB of data to be moved.
- Decommission 3PAR array after migration
- What are the steps involved in the right order ?
- Any caveats in using Storage VMotion after carving and presenting LUNs from new Netapp array to all the hosts ?
- How many storage vmotion migrations can we do per day ?
- How does boot from SAN affect this migration and what is the best way to make the ESX boot from new SAN, I'm guessing downtime is imminent ?
This is the first time we are doing this. Any one has ideas ?