iPhone cannot sync calendar, but syncs email and contacts successfully

We have 22 people that are syncing email, calendar, and contacts between their iPhones/iPads and our Exchange 2003 SP2 server.  We have been successful in doing this over the last 2 years, with no real problems other than wrong information entered on the mobile device.

Several days ago, my CEO (isn't it always) reported that his calendar was not syncing correctly on his iPhone or iPad.  CEO is still syncing email and contacts successfully.  The symptom was that there were calendar items missing on his mobile devices.  No other users have experienced this problem.

I tried deleting the account on his iPhone, restarting iPhone, then adding Exchange account.  Account is added successfully, but calendar only does a partial sync.  Some appointments appear but many are missing when I compare it to what I see in OWA.

The fact that this is happening to only one person and only with the calendar makes me think there is something corrupt with the calendar, but I'm not sure what steps to take from here.

Any guidance from you would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
dpacheco25Asked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

minlauCommented:
Hey

What iPhone OS are you on?

Try this
Settings -> Mail, Contacts... -> second last option on the bottom of the page. If that doesn't work try looking into events that reoccur or events that were added by a delegate. Also look for events that have special characters in the subject! Outlook 2003 and 2007 has filters that can help in grouping events together.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/45e9df0b-b90b-4117-98b0-c5697a2a27f5/iphone-and-exchange-2003-sp2-w-active-sync-not-working

Well I hope this helps. Best of luck.
0
Nick RhodeIT DirectorCommented:
What model is the phone and iOS?  Probably update the iOS version for there have been multiple iOS versions that have caused this issue.  Once the update has been installed the account and to be removed and re-added on the phone.
0
dpacheco25Author Commented:
Problem first occurred under iOS 6.x, but device is now on iOS 7.  This phone was syncing correctly for many months before this problem occurred.

I have also tried syncing this calendar to other iOS devices, and it is not syncing properly to those devices either.  This seems to point to something that is wrong specifically with this User, not the device.
0
Big Business Goals? Which KPIs Will Help You

The most successful MSPs rely on metrics – known as key performance indicators (KPIs) – for making informed decisions that help their businesses thrive, rather than just survive. This eBook provides an overview of the most important KPIs used by top MSPs.

Nick RhodeIT DirectorCommented:
0
dpacheco25Author Commented:
The link above seems to apply only to Exchange 2010.  We have Exchange 2003 SP 2.  I will look for instructions on how to do that with Exchange 2003, but if anyone has some suggestions for that, feel free to share.
0
Alan HardistyCo-OwnerCommented:
Export the calendar items to a .pst file, then show them as a list in Outlook and delete ALL the items.

Test syncing.

If it works both ways, create a second calendar folder, import the .pst file into the new calendar folder and move entries from one calendar to the other, a few at a time, testing syncing as you go. You may find a corrupt entry along the way causing the problem.

Alan
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
dpacheco25Author Commented:
Thank you for the suggestion Alan.  I will try that and post the outcome here.
0
dpacheco25Author Commented:
Since I knew the problem started in mid-September, I created a PST file and moved all appointments from 9/1/2013 to infinity to a folder in the PST file.  I then setup the sync between my iPhone and Exchange.  I added back the appointments one day at a time, starting in the future and working my way back to 9/1/2013.  After each move, I then checked the iPhone to make sure they were syncing.  

Syncing was successful until I added appointments from 9/27.  There were two appointments on the calendar that day, and one of them must have been corrupt.  After I copied 9/27 appointments, syncing stopped and in fact some appointments that had been on the iPhone suddenly disappeared.  Once I moved the 9/27 appointments back to the PST file, syncing would work properly again.

The whole process up to that point took about 90 minutes, so I didn't care to identify which appointment was bad.  I just deleted both of them and manually created replacements on the calendar.  Syncing has been working great ever since for this user.

Alan - Thanks again for your suggestion.

-- Dan
0
Alan HardistyCo-OwnerCommented:
Excellent news - well done on finding the problem and for your patience finding the corrupt entries.  Hopefully that will be the first and last time you have to go through that process.

Alan
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.