TSM checkin libv using file for volume list

Hello Experts

TSM 5.5.4
Windows 2008 R2

I've been attempting to use the vollist=FILE:path-to-file method to check in tapes from offsite. Here is my command;

checkin libv lib01 volli=FILE:c:\temp\vollist.txt status=scratch search=yes checklabel=barcode

Open in new window


The command completes successfully, but in the activity log I have "0 volume(s) found", hence nothing checked in.

In our case, the volumes are already in the hopper, not in the I/O bulk loader.

Anyone had similar issues?

Cheers

JP
LVL 5
John PopeIT ConsultantAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

max_the_kingCommented:
Hi,
I believe you used wrong syntax (you shouldn't use FILE:).

checkin libv lib01 volli=vollist.txt status=scratch search=yes checklabel=barcode

since i do not know how tsm interprets windows, you may as well put the file vollist.txt into C:\program files\tivoli\tsm\... where you have the dsm.opt file

please note that the name of the file is case sensitive

hope this helps
max
0
John PopeIT ConsultantAuthor Commented:
Hi Max

Cheers for your offer.

This does not make a difference either.  I find it odd that the help pages say to use the 'FILE' syntax, I'm not sure it actually matters as I get the same message in the activity log;

10/07/2013 10:11:09      ANR2017I Administrator ADMIN issued command: CHECKIN
                          LIBVOLUME lib01 volli=FILE:C:\tsm\checkinvollist1.txt status=scratch search=yes checklabel=barco  (SESSION: 3638)
10/07/2013 10:11:09      ANR0984I Process 1928 for CHECKIN LIBVOLUME started in the
                          BACKGROUND at 10:11:09. (SESSION: 3638, PROCESS: 1928)
10/07/2013 10:11:09      ANR8422I CHECKIN LIBVOLUME: Operation for library LIB01
                          started as process 1928. (SESSION: 3638, PROCESS: 1928)
10/07/2013 10:11:10      ANR8431I CHECKIN LIBVOLUME process completed for library
                          LIB01; 0 volume(s) found. (SESSION: 3638, PROCESS:
                          1928)
10/07/2013 10:11:10      ANR0985I Process 1928 for CHECKIN LIBVOLUME running in the
                          BACKGROUND completed with completion state SUCCESS at
                          10:11:10. (SESSION: 3638, PROCESS: 1928)

Still trying.

Cheers

JP
0
max_the_kingCommented:
Yep,
the command is successful, but it seems that tsm server is not able to find any library volume !
Have you tried to issue "q req" after the checkin command ?
If you get a response you need to issue reply <number of request>.

If still no joy, try to do an audit library

max
0
Creating Active Directory Users from a Text File

If your organization has a need to mass-create AD user accounts, watch this video to see how its done without the need for scripting or other unnecessary complexities.

John PopeIT ConsultantAuthor Commented:
Max

Thanks again.

I see your logic, however the process would just hang there if there were any requests outstanding, in my situation the process completes 'successfully' straight away. It's not that.

I can checkin when I specify;

vollist=vol1,vol2

on the console, but not with the file; contents are;

vol1
vol2

Running the audit library isn't needed, I tried this.  Also, using the 'show slots' command I can verify the volumes are correctly located.

The volumes being checked in were DRM offsite in 'vault retrieve', then moved to 'onsiteretrieve' and now I want to check in as scratch.

Still trying.

Cheers, JP.
0
max_the_kingCommented:
Hi JP,
maybe i figured it out ...
since your tapes are already into the library, you may try and deactivate the parameter checklabel into the command, i.e.:

checkin libv lib01 volli=vollist.txt status=scratch search=yes checklabel=no

and then you probably need to do a

q req

and issue a reply

it may work out fine, let me know
max
0
John PopeIT ConsultantAuthor Commented:
Ok.  I haven't resolved the 'FILE:filename' issue but I have skirted around it. I have decided to script the task instead and use the 'vollist=vol1,vol2' option by parsing the contents of the original file.

Going to leave open in case anyone fancies they can add to this.

Cheers for the support.

JP
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
John PopeIT ConsultantAuthor Commented:
My workaround works nicely. Plus my script became more useful with additional functions in the end too :)
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Storage Software

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.