using a HD electrical appliance in 3rd world country

the last time I took a juicer to a third world country when visiting there, it blew the fuse (electricity of the apartment where i was went off..).. of course, it was fixable (fuse..electricity..) but could not afford to run the machine often..

but i have heard some other able to run a juicer without much consequence. but I could not find what RPM they had.. below is what i had taken at that time..

1/3 HP; 6.0A
1725 RPM..

is this too much?

if this was indeed too much for the place where i was, and if i need to take a juicer the next time, what setting do you recommend I use/take with me?

thanks for any suggestions.
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

RPM is irrelevant.
Can the electricity of the apartment supply 115v 6.0A?
If it the local voltage is different from 115, you may need a converter to avoid burning out the juicer, which may change the Amperage requirements too.
When a fuse is blown out then is always a matter of current. Too high current blows the fuse. That is a general rule.
Of course the voltage from that 3rd world country is important too: if is 230V then when you plug in your juicer, you will burn it most probably. The electrical effect is reduced in the end at the current in this situation too.
Your juicer was designed for 115V, the motor inside has a certain impedance for its coils. When you apply more voltage as 230V, then the current becomes double and burns the juicer, most of time with a short-circuit inside the juicer. As consequence the fuse blows also in this case.
If that 3rd world country provides 115VAC and you are afraid that the local fuse is not strong enough and will blow when you start or use your juicer, then think and ask next aspects:
- What country/town is it? Check (we can check) online the electricity system used.
- What is the standard fuse type used in their houses for sockets?
- Do they use fuses or circuit breakers?

By experience:
- The 3rd world country still uses fuses, being cheaper than circuit breakers.
- The 6A mentioned for your juicer is a normal current; the fuse should be higher than that, usually 10A.
- If that country has 230V system then you need a transformer/converter from 230V to 115V. In that situation the current at the socket (primary of the transformer/converter) is half, meaning around 3A and you should not worry about blowing the fuse.
- The main problems that  I see are only:
        o Being a 3rd world country, if they maybe blown the fuse off before and was replaced not with the standard value, but with a piece of wire (done that before) and then is not calibrated anymore. In such case you need to replace the fuse with a standard one. I cannot recommend you a wire, even if I can do that, because requires knowledge for calibration. Having a wire instead of fuse put in danger the cables in walls. In your case with 6A there is no problem even if are thin wires as 1 square mm or 1.5 square mm single conductors.
      o If they have circuit breaker instead of fuse then one more thing to take in consideration is the inrush current which trips off the circuit breakers in many cases. I am sure you do not know what that is and you will not find it written on your juicer. When you start your juicer, or any motor, or any inductor, there is a very narrow high current peak (we speak about us to ms) easy 10 times up to 100 times higher than normal current. This small peak trips off the breaker many times. What can you do? Have a proper calibrated circuit breaker (they are on classes as B, C, D…) which resists to higher inrush currents, or just a simple fuse which is not sensitive to inrush currents.
Practical advices: ask first about 115V or 230V; in case of 230V be prepared to use a transformer, a voltage converter, then just go and try and if is not working change the fuse up to 10A max locally. A circuit breaker 16A, type B is standard value for home appliances where 230V is used.

About voltage transformer or converter: 6A at 115VAC you mentioned 1/3HP which is around 250W. That means your converter should be at least 250W, but better higher as 300W or 500W. That may be big size or heavy to carry with you. Look on Amazon or ebay ( )

In the end you may want to buy locally in that country the transformer or even a new juicer.
You could have a problem even in an older house in the USA.

Standard electrical service for homes built before about 1980 was 60A.  This sounds adequate, but it was typically broken up into four to ten 15A circuits.  Still okay, since you are unlikely to be running every circuit at max capacity at the same time.

But there always have been problems in the kitchen.  A toaster is likely to take 10A.  When the refrigerator cycles it may peak at more than 5A.  So if several thngs happen to come on at the same time, you will blow a fuse.

In less developed areas, you may have to share your 15A service with more than one unit.
You may have to share a 60A building service with ten or twenty units.  You can't blow a fuse with a single properly functioning appliance.  But there is no way to tell what's going on with the line until you hit the switch.

If you are running the juicer while somebody two doors down is making toast, the poor guy
who open the refrigerator door (pulling another 0.5A) might be the one to blow the fuse.
Cloud Class® Course: Microsoft Azure 2017

Azure has a changed a lot since it was originally introduce by adding new services and features. Do you know everything you need to about Azure? This course will teach you about the Azure App Service, monitoring and application insights, DevOps, and Team Services.

No wonder you blew a fuse. Most countries us 220 volts. You overloaded the line . Different rmp will not help you need a step down transformer  220 to 110.  The transformer must Handel at least 6 amps on the 110 side
Get a transformer not a dropping resistor as used in cheap converters.
See Radio Shack
25112Author Commented:
thanks all- very helpful to know. extremely interesting facts and situations.

so, just the fact of getting a 220v juicer along could help me the most..

if i should get a new one from  usa to there, then, would you suggest picking one from the below list should by default be OK, without much second thoughts? any suggestions in shortlisting from the below in the scenario of taking it over to asia?

The juicers seem to be in the 150 to 200 Watt range.  So a converter would allow you use your existing juicer overseas.  These seem to be less power hungry than the 6A/700W unit in your post.

Make sure you have enough power for your device.

If you want to use a 120 device on 220 you need to step down.
If you want to use a 220 device on 120 you need to step up.

This won't necessarily solve the fuse blowing problem.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
25112Author Commented:
this thread is part of my reference manual now :)

many thanks!
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Math / Science

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.