Strategic question. There is Access application (FrontEnd-BackEnd-Security).
There are several tasks inside of the database, where the user is keeping track of some activities (repairs, outstanding ToDos, "ticket"etc.). Now for these purposes we are using Memo fields in most of the cases. When the Memo field is not enough (for example, engineer need to insert the pictures), we are generating the Word file and link it to the database.
Concerns about the above arrangement:
- Sometimes memo field can be rather big (there are "tickets" followed several years). We are afraid of the database speed issues after some time.
- Creation of Word doc/ saving it under some name /linking etc. is becoming a mess after certain number of repetitions during the day
- Big number of errors during the creation of word doc (wrong folder/wrong name/ forget to link etc);
- The formatting capacity of the Memo field is quite limited. Quite often we have to generate nice looking document even if the history consist of only two sentences.
Question: Is there a way to bring automation to the process?
- At the moment of creation of new "ticket" (new record created with the form), word document is generated automatically based on the existing word template.
- The word document is automatically named (can be primary key of the record, for example) and saved in protected folder;
- Would be nice if the word.doc can automatically pick-up some fields values from the access record (date, object, engineer in charge etc.)
May be there is another well-known way to treat similar issues?
Thanks in advance,