OK so a friend of mine gave me his daugther's friend's Macbook Pro which apparently is having issues. I don't know much about Macs but seeing as she was quoted $800 to fix the problem, I figured I'd at least take a look at it.
First off, the Macbook has the following specs, which I got from the serial number:
MacBook Pro 13 inch (Mid 2012)
Machine Model: MacBookPro9,2
Family name: A1278
Model Number: MD101
Production year: 2012
Production week: 52 (December)
Operating System: Mountain Lion
There are a few different issues here:
1) the laptop won't power on at all unless you plug in the AC adapter
2) as soon as you plug the AC adapter into the laptop, it powers on and has fans going full speed
3) the screen turns white, you see the Apple logo and a spinning symbol. From here, a loading bar appears. After about 5 minutes, the progress bar works its way to the end and then the machine powers off
4) I cannot eject the DVD at any point
5) I cannot get ANY other screens to display except for the one mentioned above. No boot menu, no safe mode, etc
6) at one point, I took the hard drive out, connected it my computer and used a program to access the drive and backup any important files (so as far as I can tell, the hard drive is working)
7) I booted the system without the hard drive and when I plug in the AC adapter, the white screen shows a blinking folder with a question mark
8) when the system is powered on, I can hold the power button to shut the system down but I cannot get it to power back on unless I unplug the AC adapter and plug it back in
I don't have a problem replacing the hard drive and/or reinstalling the Operating System but I can't get any further than what is mentioned above.
Any help or insight would be appreciated.