User has a 2-user LAN with simple file sharing. For years he has been able to map a share drive letter from the XP machine to the Win7 machine, and vice versa. The share from XP to Win7 has suddenly stopped working, and I need guidance on what to try.
The share from Win7 to XP still works fine.
They recently bought a simple Netgear router from Staples after theirs died. Both PCs are once again connected to the internet.
Things I have tried:
1) Temporarily removed an old, expired copy of Norton internet security on the Win7 PC, in case that was blocking it.
2) From the XP computer, I have tried to ping the Win7 PC and that timed out.
3) If I try to map a drive with the Net Use command from the command prompt, I get an error 53, path not found. I tried the usual Net Use F: \\ginscale\c and Net Use F: \\192.168.1.2\c, and got the same error.
4) On the XP computer, if I try to view network computers, it never shows the Win7 PC--only the XP unit. They are in the same workgroup, and the router has assigned IP addresses in the same range.
5) On the Win7 PC, I have verified that nothing changed about the share name, and that the XP computer name and password is still set up as a user on Win7 PC.
Any ideas what else to try, and what might be going on? Again, it worked fine until they replaced their router--or maybe that was a coincidence. TIA