Special Internet access

I have a customer with a special mechanical machine that needs a tech to remote into to fix.

This customer is closing his business and has shutdown almost all aspects... including the Internet.

I there some way to provide temporary Internet service?  The machine is not wireless.  

My phone, for example, can become a hotspot but I am not aware of anything that will help from there.
Sheldon LivingstonConsultantAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

What sort of interface does the machine use to get to the internet? If it is standard ethernet you could use one of these

and one of these

to access your phone's wireless hotspot.
Sheldon LivingstonConsultantAuthor Commented:
The machine doesn't have a USB port and my phone doesn't either.
You will need a wireless bridge to connect the wired device to a wireless network.

Many access points have a bridge mode that can do this and there are also a number of bridge devices used to connect game consoles and pvr's etc. that often are called other things.  For example linksys's unit is called a universal media connector,


Here's a Dlink access point DAP-1522,

Also sometimes called game adapters.

If the tech required a port forward on the original router in order to connect to the equipment you may not be able to do this with the phone hotspot.  

It may be cheaper to get a month of basic internet service than buy any hardware if this is for a one time use.
Determine the Perfect Price for Your IT Services

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden with our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Download your free eBook now!

Sheldon LivingstonConsultantAuthor Commented:
So, kode99, your thought is that the LinkSys OR Dlink device would/could pick up the wireless signal and share it through the Ethernet ports?
Yes,  you just configure the bridge unit to connect to the phone then any wired device connected to the bridge can use phone's internet through the wireless network.

It is also possible to bridge connections with a Windows 7 computer.  You could tether the computer to the phone wirless or likely with USB,  then bridge that network connection with the wired port on the system that the hardware is connected to.  It's fairly easy to do heres a short tutorial,


Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Sheldon LivingstonConsultantAuthor Commented:
Thanks for the help!
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.