I have a macro-enabled workbook originally prepared in Excel 2003, migrated to Excel 2010 some two years ago. After migration this workbook would give me the message on open that there was unreadable content and would I like Excel to repair. I always did and never lost any data. The repair affected some conditional formatting which I never identified. In what I thought would be the end I removed all conditional formatting from the workbook and deleted the sheet on which the error occurred. But the messages are coming back now with regularity. After repair I get this message,
Removed Feature: Data validation from /xl/worksheets/sheet5.xml part
I figure this as interesting because there is no sheet5 in my workbook. All sheets are code-named differently. As for data validation there is a peculiarity on most of my sheets (there are about 25 of them) in that the code builds a validation drop-down when a cell is selected and deletes it on the next selection_change. Anyway, I looked at the log and found this,
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"><logFileName>error044160_01.xml</logFileName><summary>Errors were detected in file 'D:\My Documents\ACCOUNTS\Equity Trading SGX.xlsm'</summary><removedFeatures summary="Following is a list of removed features:"><removedFeature>Removed Feature: Data validation from /xl/worksheets/sheet5.xml part</removedFeature></removedFeatures></recoveryLog>
Here, I wonder who might be behind schemas.openxmlformats.org
. Is this related to OpenOffice? I am running a licensed MS product and never had OpenOffice installed on this computer.
Now I wonder if this might be related to my long-standing feud with Office 2010 which has prompted me to ask several times though a solution was never found. Basically, my Office Installation (affects Word as well as Excel, and probably the others which I hardly ever use) doesn't recognize files with Office extensions. Somewhere, deep in the registry XLS (or DOC) files are associated with Excel 2010. When I double-click on such files the associated application is loaded, the file opens, and it is added to both Recent lists (the one shown from within Excel and the other shown next to the Excel program accessible from the Start button).
None of this normal behaviour is available for XLSX or XLSM (of their Word equivalents) files. To wit, double-click does not open any application. If Excel is already running, it doesn't load the workbook. If I open the file from within Excel it will be added to the Recent list within Excel but not the one in the Start menu.
Here are the previous threads:-
Can't open Workbook on double-click
Sort out various Excel versions on one PC
At this time my PC has only one version of Office installed. I am still interested in opening files on double-click though I have largely given up hope. However, the thrust of today's question is whether or not the error I am now facing is related.